Tcard system finally axed

10 years and $95M later it finally got scrapped.

I've worked on my fair share of cancelled projects over the years, but this one's a doozy. Cashless ticketing ain't rocket science.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

wow, thats amazing. I suspect working at that place would be very unpleasant, as it is unlikely they could organise a shit in a toilet ;)

that sort of thing isnt uncommon for big "integrated" software projects, but transport ticketing?! its commonplace, surely one simply needs to purchase an already-working system.....

still, nice to see the relevant department eventually bitch-slapped the losers.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

What is it with Govt wankers? They have spent $95 Million dollars to try and find a system that would replace the EFTPOS wireless system already running.. Go to IBM , Mc Donald's, Woolworths, Bill express and the like who already have EFTPOS systems that don't charge them Bank fees, just add on a Wireless Pinpad in every Bus/ train and there you go a Cash less system...

and my info is Free...

ffs... Allan

Reply to
Allan

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@n22g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

That would be impractical. A cashless system needs to be instant, so an EFTPOS/card swipe system would take far to long to physically handle/process. The whole idea is to get on and off the bus/train as fast and as efficient as possible.

The overseas ones have a prox card that people just leave in their wallet or purse which they swipe over the card reader as they enter/ leave. Logistically very efficient.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@n22g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

Over here in Hamburg you can buy a ticket with the SMS.

Reply to
fritz