Signal/Function generator kit

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can suggest/recommend a signal generator kit that can be bought in Australia.

I looked around, and although I found a number of well-priced options on US based sites, I couldn't find much from any Australian sites, especially the bit kit sellers, unless I'm totally blind and missed them.

Just looking for a basic signal generator (sine, square, triangle) with variable frequency output as a kit and which won't break the bank. Interested in learning how they work and building it myself as I am a student.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

Ahem, meant "big kit sellers"

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

"Ross Vumbaca"

** See this one?

You get a lot for just $24.

The design ( aka Miniosc) is one of mine.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I've done two, but they are no longer available as a kit.

(the last function gen published in SC?) and

I'm not aware of any function gen kits still available in Oz.

Realistically, you won't learn much buy building a kit, apart from how to solder and follow instructions. You are better off simply reading the articles for how they work if you are interested in how sig gens work. Buy a nice and capable fully-built one, and then experiment with your own circuits.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Come to think of it, it is still available from Kits'r'us:

K101

Actually, looks like Phil's pocket kit is still available:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I got one of those (actually one of Phil's originals) and it's great. Gets a lot of use and I recommend it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks for the links, very interesting reading. I originally found the SC article, but it was not completely available, without a subscription. Didn't know I could get it from the source :).

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't originally see this one, bought the kit a few days ago, great price, and looks good.

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

** The oversized enclosure supplied by Altronics is NOT like the pocket sized one I specified in the original article in EA magazine in December 1996.

This is a similar box from Farnell.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The performance is better than you'd expect for such a small cheap kit. Hope you like it. :)

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I can't see why you'd bother these days. You can get better performance from a cheap computer sound card (which you probably already have) and free (or commercial) software. My laptop provides me with a great AF signal generator, CRO, spectrum analyzer, distortion meter etc. I only use my function generator for RF.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

"Mr.T"

** Colossal IDIOTS like Mr Turd cannot see a damn thing.
** Errrrrr - where do you get a laptop for $24 ???

Will one in your pocket or tool case ??

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Indeed, I was using my PC's sound card originally, but I wanted something separate for when my PC isn't available. Also it wasn't expensive and I was interested in seeing how one might implement one of these.

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca