Trying to configure slrn

I've installed slrn on my RPi B+, but I'm stuck on the next step of
entering NNTPSERVER information. Where/how is that done? I've googled
numerous sites, but can't find any specific Raspberry Pi guidance.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ray

Re: Trying to configure slrn

It is an environment variable, like $PATH. Use the
shell export command or supply it on the command line.

You could have found the information with man slrn.

--

-TV

Re: Trying to configure slrn

It goes into your "rc" file, if you are using bash it'd be your .bashrc
Something like:

NNTPSERVER='server.name.here.in.singlequotes'
EDITOR=emacs
export NNTPSERVER EDITOR

OK, you might not want emacs, but I can't imagine why.
Other shells use other syntax, c-shelly things use (something like)
setenv NNTPSERVER server.name.here
That would go into your .cshrc

Re: Trying to configure slrn
where does the password go?

look exactly the same afterwards."

Re: Trying to configure slrn

In my .slrnrc I have, e.g.,

server "server.name.org" ".jnewsrc-name""
nnrpaccess "server.name.org" "username" "password"

This is then invoked with

slrn -h server.name.org

(I use multiple NNTP servers for different private groups.)

Re: Trying to configure slrn
On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 19:29:56 -0700,

There is nothing about slrn that is Pi specific. Hell, it can be made
to run on windows!

With bash as your shell, set your NNTPSERVER in your ~/.bashrc like so
(server name chosen to be consistent with the slrn example file):

export NNTPSERVER='news.doe.com'

If you're in the terminal you can refresh your bash environment via

. ~/.bashrc
echo $NNTPSERVER

You need a ~/.slrnrc file. If you installed from a proper .deb
package, you should have this file:
/usr/share/doc/slrn/examples/slrn.rc.gz and in there, we see these
entries under "Server specific settings":

% Tell slrn which newsrc file it should use for which server.
% Note: This does *not* set the default server; you need to set the
%       NNTPSERVER environment variable for this.
%server "news.doe.com" ".jnewsrc-doe"

% If a server requires authentication, add a nnrpaccess line for it.
% If you leave username and/or password empty, slrn will prompt for it.
%nnrpaccess "news.doe.com" "john" "secret"

In fact, the easiest thing to do would be the following:

gunzip -c /usr/share/doc/slrn/examples/slrn.rc.gz > ~/.slrnrc

then edit your ~/.slrnrc file to point to your news server, and any
username and/or password required. If you put in the password in the
file, you may want to do a

chmod go-rwx ~/.slrnrc

to make it unreadable from any accounts not you or root. If it is a
single user system behind a good firewall, then that's probably an
"eh".

Once configured, type

slrn

and you should have usenet reading goodness at your finger tips. And
if you examine the entirety of ~/.slrn there is a lot more that can be
configured, but can be safely ignored until you need to or want to
make changes.

Re: Trying to configure slrn
Sincere thanks to all who replied. I'm posting this from slrn! Special
thanks to IRA Darth Aggie for the "gunzip" suggestion. That saved me a
lot of time. Your help is appreciated.

Site Timeline