DMM stuck on .844 ohms

Hi Group, can someone help please.? my craftsman digital multimeter 82344 n ot reading correctly, when i select the ohms or diode position to test com ponents the display reads .844 on the ohms position and .556 on the diode p osition, it is stuck on those values, does not change. i did change the fus e, still the same.. it does read voltage and continuity.

Reply to
Stu jaxon

Can you get to the switch? Something may have fouled the Ohms Setting.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

yes, the switch/selector isn't stuck. the ohms display is , i might have accidently tested a high voltage in the ohms setting, i don't remember. just wanted to know if it's fixable. i google it, and found zilch...

Reply to
Stu jaxon

How is it reading in the Volts ranges? These things have only one A/D converter and display. Everything else is input conditioning, range selection and (for ohms) a current source.

I live the way I type; fast, with a lot of mistakes.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote: ====================

** Hand held DMMs do not use current sources for resistance measurement.

Rather, they read the *ratio* of two voltages, one across the unknown part and the other across an accurate reference resistor. This is both simpler & far more accurate.

Also, they do not use normal A-D converters.

An analogue technique called " dual slope integration" converts the DC input voltage to a precise time interval. This interval is used to pass clock cycles from a time base which counted and displayed in decimal form.

The "digital " bit is only the display.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison