OpenWRT + VPN on Rpi 4

I have installed OpenWRT on my Rpi 4 and have things set up so that I can
share USB-tethered connection to LAN ... but now I think I would rather
make Rpi run VPN and not all the devices inside the LAN ... What I have
learned by searching is that some have had issues with earlier Rpi's and
some have not had issues :D
Anyone have set up VPN on RPi 4 and could give some pointers?
/
Bud
/

a1=S0
b1=[1..2,'L0L']
a2=2*a1
a3=S1.4#b1
a4=(a2,a3)
a5=64*
a4
Reply to
Bud Spencer
VPN is a pretty wide concept. If you have an idea of the other end of the tunnel, you should look at compatible pieces of software.
I'm running an OpenVPN server on an older Raspberry, which also serves as a firewall/router, name cache server, DHCP server and NTP server. Everything runs smoothly.
You have to watch the Pi4 temperature or provide good coolling if you're going to make it run 24/7.
For starters, google for 'openvpn'.
--

-TV
Reply to

Reply to
Simple Simon
With the newest firmware updates (for a while now) I have not had any temperature problems on my Pi4 which is in a heatsink case. Idle always between 39-41 degrees, spikes to 48 when running Mathematica interactively.
Reply to
A. Dumas
Looks interesting but ... "Currently this installer supports Raspbian, Debian and Ubuntu."
/ Bud /
a1=S0 b1=[1..2,'L0L'] a2=2*a1 a3=S1.4#b1 a4=(a2,a3) a5=64*a4
Reply to
Bud Spencer
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 22:34:01 +0200, Bud Spencer declaimed the following:
Based upon
""" Visit the PiVPN site for more information. This is a set of shell scripts initially developed by @0-kaladin that serve to easily turn your Raspberry Pi (TM) into a VPN server using two free, open-source protocols:
WireGuard OpenVPN """ PiVPN is just a set of convenience scripts for installing and managing the two named VPN systems...
I would suggest looking at "Method 3", which would allow you to study/modify the installer script for your OS. Probably going to need to change the section that handles the package repositories and upgrades, especially if OpenWRT does not use DEB packages -- you'll have to insert whatever OpenWRT uses to manage installing packages... OR MORE LIKELY, download and build either WireGuard or OpenVPN from source files..
	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber
OpenWRT is a router OS, and OpenVPN (if that's what the OP wants) is already supported:

In general it's always better to go with your distro's way of doing things, rather than port something from another distro (unless very similar).
However the OP didn't give us enough info as to what they actually want to *do*, so we're in the dark as to whether this is a good solution for them.
Theo
Reply to
Theo
Thank you for the hyperlink Theo!
But I'm not schizophrenic nor Legion.
What *I* want to do is to have my RPi use OpenVPN for the URB-tethered internet connection, which is then shared to LAN.
Now that I think of it, it might be nice that it would randomize for every connection ... but that's not really needed.
Apparently nobody has personal experience and cannot give any pointers if there is something one need to take in account when doing this on RPi 4. So I'll just get to it when I get time to do so.
Thanks for all the replies! *They* were useful nonetheless.
/ Bud /
a1=S0 b1=[1..2,'L0L'] a2=2*a1 a3=S1.4#b1 a4=(a2,a3) a5=64*a4
Reply to
Bud Spencer

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to
Chris Elvidge
Thanks, so you've now explained the problem and said the magic words 'OpenVPN' which means we know where we are. That's an 'OpenVPN client' and so these instructions apply:

I'm assuming you're paying somebody for an OpenVPN server on the internet somewhere? Rather than running your own server on a cloud server somewhere?
There's nothing special about an RPi if you're running OpenWRT, it's just another OpenWRT box. Don't try and hack around your system with scripts designed for running on other OSes on a Pi - it's all already integrated into OpenWRT.
The main thing is the Pi has no hardware crypto acceleration so your performance might be limited by the Pi 4's CPU. Probably not an issue unless you're pushing hundreds of Mbps.
Theo
Reply to
Theo
That bugs me too, but it's increasingly accepted as the correct gender-neutral form.
Reply to
Rob Morley
Well, it *has* been used as such for a very long time. See e.g. Wiktionary: "(singular pronoun): Usage of they as a singular pronoun began in the 1300s and has been common ever since, despite attempts by some grammarians, beginning in 1795,[5] to condemn it as a violation of traditional (Latinate) agreement rules." So, its use doesn't conform to the rules of
See also the wiki article:
Reply to
A. Dumas
It's in common use in the UK (the OED first cite is 1450). My US editors sometimes pick it up, but my argument is it's better than writing 'he/she/it' all over the place, or arbitrarily assigning a gender to an unknowable person.
Theo
Reply to
Theo
Hi, Rob Morley
This isn't directed at you, but to the group as a whole.
For what it's worth, Theo's reply to Dennis Lee Bieber /could have/ said "However, Bud Spencer didn't give us enough info..." (the post that Theo replied to contained Bud Spencer's name as part of the quote attribution line), and avoided this "gender-neutral pronoun" issue entirely.
Prior to that reply, I saw no sign that Bud Spencer preferred one self- referential pronoun over another. How about we, where-ever possible, just use proper nouns instead of guessing about (or railing against) the (improper?) use of pronouns, gender-neutral or not?
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
Reply to
Lew Pitcher
That was going to be my suggested solution - instead of he/she/it use "that person" or similar if no better noun can be deduced from the available information. Although I may have occasionally used "s/he".
Reply to
Rob Morley
Someone once suggested "s/h/it".
--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ /        |  Apple is a cult.