Remote trigger suggestions?

I'm not sure if I'm in the right group. If not, I'm sure someone here can suggest a more suitable one.

At any rate, Here is my project. I am building a display for kids and need some sort of remote trigger. The concept is based around the children using a tethered flashlight (black light) to pick out hidden nocturnal animals painted on the display. When the animals are found with the light the "bushes" will open to reveal the whole image. I would like some sort of focused always on remote trigger that will activate only when the unit is pointed directly at the image. Point it anywhere else and nothing happens. The kids must not have to press any buttons other than to turn on the flash light. In addition, there would need to be some sort of timer so the animal is only revealed for 10 seconds or so and the system will automatically reset.

thanks

Reply to
Nicholas

Nice project, I like the application. :-) Go search on 'light sensitive switch", there'll be heaps of hits. Some are kits and circuits if you really want to go the DIY way, or just buy an off-the-shelf unit. Some of the OTS stuff come with time-out timers as well. Your local hardware or electronics store may well be a place to go.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

You might consider a laser pointer instead of black light, as you might have a hard time with the spread of the light beam and your need to trigger one animal at a time. An off-delay timer is what I think you want, I believe this will get you around 10sec (the switch is representing your trigger). You can adjust the 1K and 10uF to change your timing. Without the 1M resistor you can get some rather long timings. The relay then switches the power to run your bushes. Other brighter people will probably post a better circuit.

1N4004 12V VCC .-|
Reply to
Seth Koster

Thanks for the reply and diagram. I am venturing into uncharted territory (for me anyway) and have lot of learning to do. However, the blacklight is essential at this point to the project coordinator. Mainly because several items in the display will be rendered in widlfire/Rosco Vid/FX paints. A test proved that the paint/blacklight gave the exact look that was wanted. I did have to put the light through a lens and use a donut and shutters to narrow the beam. My fear is that the black light beam may not be enough to trigger the unit. Until I get my hands on the triggers remotes etc., I won't know.

thanks again

Seth Koster wrote:

Reply to
Nicholas