Not Too Sure About Thunderbird

At first I thought this was a T-bird issue. But on reading some of the messages it looks like it's not.

I have a number of messages, all dated today at 11:32 AM, which should be part of threads but aren't. However, they are not the original message, rather they are some sort of echos. They start with "To: " and a name and end with something like,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Did a news server go bonkers?

--

Rick
Reply to

Den tirsdag den 9. december 2014 19.13.25 UTC+1 skrev rickman:

they are also on google so I guess so, they all look repost of old messages

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not really Thunderbirds fault at all. A Fidonet Gateway has gone crazy and is reflecting some posts back into the newsgroup. I am amazed it is still running! A real blast from the past - temporal gateway anyone?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

There was a rash of strange "From" lines...

From: "Lasse Langwadt Christensen"

Not just you, several other authors, then it ceased. So I don't think it was a Thunderbird issue. Though real men use Agent >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, they use agent if they are "compensating" for something... ;)

--

Rick
Reply to

Yep. There's nothing wrong with Thunderbird or your news feed. Someone was apparently trying to deploy a Fidonet gateway. It was misconfigured and is now spewing duplicate messages.

I got rid of them in Forte Agent by creating a kill filter that looks for: Author: remove-cdt-this and removes the articles. My count is about 40 each for yesterday and today. I could probably chase it down to the source, but I have better things to do today.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

They all had the same time and date stamp, so I sorted by date and deleted all the duplicates.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell