wired downloading bitstream to spartan2

HI,
    I have a Avnet Spartan2 board, if I download the the .mcs (prom
file) comming with the board to it, it seems everything is OK. Then I
build my design, went through the implementation flow, and I run a
script to run impact.exe,

setMode -bscan
setCable -p lpt1
addDevice -p 1 -part xc18v01
addDevice -p 2 -file download.bit
program -p 2
quit

    but what I see is at the end of its running is like this,

'2':Programming  device...done.
INFO:iMPACT:579 - '2': Completed downloading bit file to device.
INFO:iMPACT:580 - '2':Checking done pin ....done.
'2': Programming terminated, Done did not go high.
Done.

    Do you know what might be the problem? Note that I have the same P4
download cable, JTAG cable and power supply.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: wired downloading bitstream to spartan2

Hello Jim,

think You want to program a ser. PROM. Did YOU already try to create a *.mcs
file for the serial PROM instead of a *.bit file?

with best regards,

Peter Seng

#############################
SENG digitale Systeme GmbH
Im Bruckwasen 35
D 73037 Göppingen
Germany
tel  +7161-75245
fax  +7161-72965
eMail   snipped-for-privacy@seng.de
net  http://www.seng.de
#############################

Re: wired downloading bitstream to spartan2
If you are programming the Spartan2 device after the xc18v01 has been
configured then the initiation of the boundary-scan configuration of the
Spartan2 (program -p 2) also initiates configuration of the Spartan2
from the xc18v01and results in a configuration data conflict within the
Spartan2.

There are several ways to work around this problem either one of which
should work
(a) erase the PROM before configuring the Spartan2
(b) set the mode pins on the Spartan2 device to boundary-scan mode
(c) set the preference  (Edit->Preferences) to Use HIGHZ instead of BYPASS
(d) generate an mcs file from the bit file and configure the PROM only