downloading bitstream on FPGA

Hi all, i am beginner in FPGA and i have a query about downloading FPGAs. i have a module1 and downloaded on device. now my question is that a module2 can be downloaded on same device(if free space available), then how. also i want to see result of both module simultaneosly. Regards J.Ram

Reply to
jrgodara

I think partial reconfiguration aside, you can only download one module at a time onto an fpga, and your module would have to be the merging of module1 and module2 together. However this is very easy, you just create module3 that instantiates module1 and module2.

Regarding partial reconfiguration, I don't know firsthand, just theory. The idea is part of the fpga keeps its programming, and you can reprogram some other part. So the part that remains constant can be doing the critical system stuff, and the other part can be swapped in and out as needed for the task at hand.

My impression partial reconfiguration is a relatively new development, and not all devices support it, but a whole lot of people want it.

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture

Some IO-multiplexing will have to be done too, I suggest.

what kind of modules are you thinking of, requiring partial downloading ?

Reply to
alterauser

Partial reconfiguration itself is not new, but the tools' ability to handle it is. The design flow for partial reconfiguration is not for the faint of heart. Unless you have a reason to be swapping partial bitstreams in and out in many different combinations, you are generally better off using full bitstreams.

Reply to
Ray Andraka

What about just using 2 FPGA's?

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture
Reply to
David Ashley

Yes, I wonder when one FPGA is working and the other is configured at the same time when they are working for the same module.

Camwood

David Ashley wrote:

Reply to
xyjiang

Well you'd have the same problem with partial reconfiguration of a single fpga as well, wouldn't you? With 2 fpga's you use one that does the permanently required functionality. Then the other can be reconfigured as necessary.

-Dave