pin assignment on an expansion module

Hello there,

I have a Spartan-3 Starter Board with an ethernet module on one of the expansion ports and working with EDK 6.3. My intention is to use the ethernet module on my project to be able to send/recieve TCP/IP frames using lwIP but I'm not quite sure how to map the pins of the ethernet module to the pins of the expansion port for the design to work. How can this be done correctly? It might be quite simple but I am quite a newbie on FPGA design so I would be very grateful for any help.

Thankyou very much,

Adrian.

Reply to
adrian

Get the schematics for both boards and the data sheet for the big chip on the Ethernet card. Pick some interesting pin on the big chip and follow it over to the connector. Find the corresponding pin on the other connector and trace it back to the FPGA.

If you are lucky, you can find some documentation that does that for you.

Beware, it's far from uncommon to get pin numbers scrambled on connectors. For example, pins will be numberd 1-40 on one connector, but the corresponding pins will be numbered 40-1, or 2,1,4,3, ... Or 1,3,5... An ohmmeter may help you trace wires, or verify that you have things correct.

Hal Murray

Hal Murray escribió:

Thanks for the advice. It has been quite helpful.

The big chip on the ethernet module is Ubicom IP 2022. Looking at the schematic of the ethernet module

I have finally reached the conclusion that the pins that need to be mapped (TX+, Tx- ,RX,...) are those that are connected that RE4,RE5,RE6,RE7,RG4 and RG5 on the IP2022 chip. OK.

But, how are these pins communicated with the board's connector?

After this it will be quite simple following the Spartan-3 board's connector's pins back to the FPGA.

Does the ethernet module have to be programmed independedantly?

I am quite stuck with this issue an I don't really know if this is the correct sequence to follow. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thankyou,

Adrian.

Reply to
adrian