Telerobotics---force feedback master-slave manipultor

hi,

I am new to embedded systems...would like to know the following things..

To develop 2 or 3 DOF force feedback master-slave manipulator

1. which micro controller is a good choice with 2/3 quadrature encoder
interfacing facility

2. what are the skills required for the project

3. Any information sources like books etc?

4. I want to implement bilateral position and force loops in the control
architecture

any information useful for this project implementation is very helpful to
me and thankful to ppl providing the information here

---------------------------------------

Re: Telerobotics---force feedback master-slave manipultor
mahendervallapureddy@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...

Sytem analysis - to work out what has to be done BEFORE even thinking of
which hardware, language, OS or other implementation factors.

Do some top down design of system requirements and expand each section
until you know what you require. Start with the mechabical drive systems
how fast they will be, how fast they respond to change and all those
limitations before going any further.

Without knowing lots of details about mechanical limitations, speed of
response, how this is to be controlled (human operator, automatic
sequence, etc..), anything from an 8 bit micro to a Cray could do
the job. Hopw well it will work is not knowable.

--
Paul Carpenter          | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk
Re: Telerobotics---force feedback master-slave manipultor

As Paul carpenter has already indicated, you need to do some analysis work
to improve the quality and depth of your system requirements. Start with the
end-effector outputs and work towards the inputs. You have a human operator
in the loop so don't forget to include his/her actions as part of the focus
of system analysis. This link might help your thoughts on that a little.

<http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifierAD%A102574

Additionally, you will need to look at the force sensing mechanisms that
will be useful to you (motor current, strain gauges, etc). Which technology
you choose will depend on your mechanical constraints.

Re: Telerobotics---force feedback master-slave manipultor

Lots of different ones, depending on what you're trying to accomplish,
and what your constraints are.

To start, the ability to identify what you're trying to accomplish, and
what your constraints are.

I picked up system design skills by osmosis over the years.  There is a
formal association of systems design engineers who describe the job the
same way I do -- you may want to dig up their web site and see what they
recommend.

That's nice -- what's a bilateral position and force loop?  One of the
first thing you have to learn as a systems engineer is that the language
is different from one specialty to another, and it's your job to
understand who speaks what, and try to express things so that all the
disciplines involved will understand what you mean without ambiguity.

The most important steps in identifying a microprocessor are going to be
to identify the various measurements and actuators you need to take to
make this work, the degree of precision that you need in your various
measurements and actuators, the bandwidths that you need to sustain, and
the complexity of the controller (paying particular attention to whether
the math involved needs to include potentially "expensive" operations
like divide or trig functions or log or exponentiation, etc).

From that information you can derive the necessary data path widths,
sampling rates, and execution complexity.  From _that_ you can get an
idea of what the microprocessor core needs to be capable of, and then you
can go shopping for a micro that has the necessary horsepower and a nice
set of peripherals.

My advise, if this is going to be a one-off and you're not limited in
size, weight, or power consumption -- and particularly if this is a
student project -- is to get the BIGGEST MICROPROCESSOR YOU CAN AFFORD.
Using 5% of the processor capability to get the job done is merely
wasteful.  Needing 400% more capability than your processor has means
that your project has failed.

Re: Telerobotics---force feedback master-slave manipultor

or you can just use matlab/simulnk or scilab/scicos with for example
www.rtai.org for a fast developement and test (with a I/O board
connected to your pc).

Bye Jack
--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Re: Telerobotics---force feedback master-slave manipultor

For old fashioned manipulators there are a few:

McCloy, Harris "Robotics An Introduction" Open University Press 1986
   ( Has a very readable chapter on manipulators )

Vertut, Coiffet "Teleoperation and Telerobotics"
   "Evolution and development"   Volume 3A   Kogan Press 1985
   "Applications and Technology" Volume 3B   Kogan Press 1985
   ( author: French nuclear industry ; comprehensive but a bit
     hard to read )

Köhler "Typenbuch der Manipulatoren / Manipulator Type Book"
   Thiemig 1981  ( author: german nuclear industry ;
     a collection of specs and photos of commercially
     available systems of its day ; but only few detailed
     descriptions )

Thring "Robots and Telechirs" ellis horwood 1983
     ( Thring is a somewhat idiosyncratic but likable fellow ;
       the book is readable and a usefull introduction )

Vintage:
NASA SP-5047 "Teleoperators and Human augmentation" 1967
NASA SP-5070 "Teleoperator Controls" 1968
NASA SP-5081 "Advancements in Teleoperator Systems" 1970
   Later some of that was published as:
   Johnson, Corliss "Human Factors Applications in
   Teleoperator Design and Operation" Wiley 1971

 > what are the skills required for the project
Beeing able to build the mechanical part of the system ?

But i guess for students a Matlab simulation will do ...

MfG JRD

Site Timeline