Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:08:41 +0100, Tim Mitchell

Tim,

The way it sounds you stumbled over a common misinterpretation.

Removeable media can be formatted in two flavours. With one you have a
partition table, and then at the offset specified by the partition
table you have the FAT MBR and remaining parts of what forms the FAT
filesystem(s) etc. The other flavour does not have a partition table
and the medium directly starts with the FAT MBR. This latter case is
what happens if Windows formats a removeable media. Windows recognizes
both cases. WinHex by default showes you the start of the MBR. If
memory serves you can put it into some sort of "physical" mode where
you should be able to look at sector 0 on the PC end also and where
you will see the IMHO present partition table of your specific CF also
from within WinHex.

HTH

Markus

Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong

My authoritive source is "Disk Operating System Version 3.30
Technical Reference" by IBM, pages 9-6,7.  Probably long
out of print.

Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong
It was a PITA to understand. There are other better descriptions of the FAT
file systems out there I think. Though this was during a stressful time last
year and my memory may be wrong. ;)

Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong

What I do like about the document is that it clearly showes WHAT
EXACTLY Microsoft does when it comes to recognizing FAT Media and also
clears up a couple of other often misinterprated things. I agree that
there are good other sources and I also agree that one most likely
will also need other sources if starting from scratch. However, the
others (otherwise good ones) I found all lacked this very information
which I found important. I was asuming that the original poster will
do a google search and actually just wanted to make sure he is going
to read the one from Microsoft too.

Markus

Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong
I've got the MS Fat32 document but it does not describe the partition
table, or at least I can't find it. It seems to start with the boot
sector.
--
Tim Mitchell

Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong

Yes, you need other sources also. I found this one pretty usefull -
along with the document from Ms

http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/fat16 /

HTH

Markus

Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong

Markus, could you please provide a link to the document you are referring to?

--

Regards
David Milne

Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong

I downloaded two pdf's from microsoft, but did not have the URL redy
cause it's a while ago. One is caled "fatgen103.pdf", the other
"fatformat.pdf". I hope Google will show up a place to download them,
if not let me know.

Markus

Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong

Thank you for those filenames Markus.

Here are the locations of the files.
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/download/hardware/fatgen103.pdf
http://www.walrus.com/~raphael/pdf /

--

Regards
David Milne

Re: Compact flash with 8051 - sector numbers all wrong
spake thusly:

Once place is http://www.ata-atapi.com/
(specifically Hale Landis' "how it works" documents)

--cjb

Site Timeline