problem with compact flash 512 Mbytes

Hello, I install linux embedded 2.6 on a compact flash sandisk 256 Mbytes and i have no problem but with compact flash sandisk 512 Mbytes , the boot is very very long ( 1 minute more) for example fdisk -l use 30 secondes for response !! Perhaps a probleme with the bios ?

Reply to
fembe

Once it booted, linux does not use the bios anymore. Most likely a configuration issue with the kernel. Disable DMA if possible, some CFs do not work well with it.

Reply to
linnix

do

Yes, but the average access time would not be much different. I have a CF with 10MB/s transfer rate and a hard disk with ATA100 (over 100MB/s in theory). However, the CF boot in 20 seconds and the hard disk in close to a minute.

Reply to
linnix

Le Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:05:42 -0700, linnix a écrit :

Thank you, I have also an Hard disk for data , Will the transfer rate be slowler ?

Reply to
fembe

Le Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:05:42 -0700, linnix a écrit :

OK but where in the file .config can i disable the DMA ?

Reply to
fembe

do

You have to disable it in the IDE driver. We are doing it for the 2.4 kernel, not sure about the 2.6 kernel. For our customers, we provide the base architectures for them at=20

linnix

use the hdparm utility, and put that somewhere early on in the boot sequence.

Reply to
Jim Jackson