PCMCIA CF signal monitoring - How to

Hi everyone. I'm a new member with a lot of basic questions.

The project I'm working on now is to monitor the PCMCIA signal being sen to a CF card for storage. Every time an action is taken on this embedde system, a small output file is written to the card. How can I monitor this signal as it's happening? Of course I can just remove the card and transfer the file, but that won' work for this situation. Also, I can't change the drivers on the embedde side.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help.

-Dave

Reply to
russettata

Subverting a voting machine, are we?

You need to snoop the interface and essentially run an emulator operating on a RAM image.

Reply to
larwe

sent

embedded

Is there a system out there that can already do this? I'm not messin with a voting machine (good try) but I just want to have a copy of th file without removing the card. what are the steps to "snooping" this interface? Thanks

Reply to
russettata

First step is to figure out the access mode of the embedded system, and the number of pins to monitor.

  1. 16 bits memory mode - 16 data, 10 addr and 6 control.
  2. 8 bits memory mode - 8 data, 10 addr and 6 control.
  3. 16 bits IDE mode - 16 data, 3 addr and 6 control.
  4. 8 bits IDE mode - 8 data, 3 addr and 6 control.

If you are not sure, go for 1 with 32 pins. You probably have to sample the signals at 1MHz. You have to buffer at least 512 bytes + overheads.

Reply to
linnix