How to convert differential signal to signle-ended signal?

We are testing some wideband (1GHz-8GHz) differential circuits, but there is only one channel on our high frequency oscillascope. What kind of devices can we use to convert the differential signal to signal-ended signal? Can we use a balun or a power conbiner? Thanks.

Best, Allen

Reply to
Allen

Are these analog or digital signals? LVDS receiver ICs make handy differential-to-signal-ended logic-signal converters.

Reply to
Winfield

If the signals are analog you will have to use a true differential probe, and proper fixturing.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

To correctly measure all parameters you need a two input scope (a 4 input scope would be even better, have you considered renting one?), additionally a differential probe will help. Otherwise a balun or a 180 degree combiner will work for "coarse" measurements.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Allen,

JKK is spot on. The best way is to use a two channel scope to monitor and then use the math function to "subtract" the two, therby having the scope perform the differential to single ended convesion.

For part of the band (1-3 GHZ) you can use fast op amps to perform the differential to single ended conversion. for the entire 1-8 you also can use a wideband 180 hybrid. this acts like a transformer which canbe used from 1 MC to 1 gC)

best regards,

Marc

Reply to
LVMarc