MDB and DEX protocol specifications

Hi all,

I'm having a frustrating time locating official, complete
specifications on the above two protocols. I don't mind [my client]
paying for them, but I want authoritative documents. Anyone know where
these can be obtained?

In fact, I can't work out if DEX is actually a nailed-down standard or
just an acronym used to describe auditing functionality that can be
carried out in numerous different and utterly nonstandard ways. All the
documents I've read on it are very vague and fuzzy; they talk about the
possibility of using a serial port or GSM module or Bluetooth or
Ethernet.

(MDB is the Multi-Drop Bus interface used for bill validators,
smartcard readers and coin changers, and DEX is Data EXchange, a
protocol/interface used for auditing vending machines).

Re: MDB and DEX protocol specifications

NAMA handles all the vending standarts in the US:
    http://www.vending.org

They seem to have released both MDP and DEX specs for free. See
   http://www.eva.be/main.html
for details

Mikhail

P.S. - Just of curios, what is your project about?

Re: MDB and DEX protocol specifications

Thanks!

Almost a year ago now, I designed a simple controller for a candy
vending machine (it's a bit more than just simple vending; the product
is actually made in front of the user - the user gets to select and
blend different flavors and sees the ingredients mixed, compressed into
a solid shape and packed in front of him). The client wants many bells
and whistles added, including MDB and DEX support.

Re: MDB and DEX protocol specifications

Actually, I take back my enthusiasm - eva has a link back to NAMA for
the MDB spec, NAMA has a link back to eva for the DEX specs, neither
actually has anything available for download despite saying the specs
are now free.

(eva's page comes up as mostly blank with some broken image links in
it).

Grrrr.

Re: MDB and DEX protocol specifications

NAMA used to sell the spec for $35. Bad news, it seems to be free now
:)

see http://store.vending.org/page24.html#30

There are many vendors, they all try to push their proprietary
protocol, but many also support mdb. Mars is the best (and in a long
tradition of bad US marketing is trying to go out of business by
charging too much). ICT and Moneycontrols and more also have mechs.
Mechs are surprisingly (to me) expensive.

Have fun transfering 9 bit bytes!

There is no "x" in my email address.

Site Timeline