LEGO mindstorms and FPGA

Yesterday I bought a LEGO mindstorms set (getting infantil in my old
days...). After building the first robot, I want to substitue the RCX by
an FPGA. Has anyone done this so far?

Martin
JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs:
http://www.jopdesign.com /

Re: LEGO mindstorms and FPGA
What are your goals in the substitution ??
Do you want to run the programs from the RCX on the JOP ?
Do you want to create new program in a java environment ?

The FPGA is almost insignifcant if you are only interested in software.

Re: LEGO mindstorms and FPGA
Fun :-)

No, I want to program the robots in Java.

The FPGA is used to interface with the motor and sensors. It's simple to
implement the ADC for the sensors in the FPGA.

I will put the schematics for the sensor and motor interface with some
VHDL code on a webpage when I got it work.

Martin
JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs:
Re: LEGO mindstorms and FPGA

Not that I've seen.

www.charmedlabs.com  have lego + gameboy + fpga
uses ecos

Some verilog code for servos etc here
http://www.fpga4fun.com /

Alex

Re: LEGO mindstorms and FPGA
That's a nice project. They did implement voltage sensing of the motor
generated voltage during 'off' of the PWM to get some feedback. That's
exactly what I have planned for the motor control.

Martin
JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs:
Re: LEGO mindstorms and FPGA
... snip ...

I did something of the sort way back when for HO train engine
control.  It involved a few diodes, a quad op amp, SCR, and the
odd component including a transformer.  The idea was to use the
raw rectified unfiltered AC, which shut off the SCR and allowed
the diode etc to sense the speed, and then turn the SCR on again.
I wish I had kept schematics.  It worked quite well 25 years ago.
I even cobbled in a braking mode somehow.

Re: LEGO mindstorms and FPGA
by

The LEGO sensor interface to the FPGA with a sigma-delta ADC is
completed. I've set up a web page with the schematic and the VHDL code:
http://www.jopdesign.com/lego/index.jsp

The motor control, camera input and hopefully a nice roboter example will
follow.

Comments and suggestions on this solution are welcome ;-)

Martin

Site Timeline