getting started in FPGA

Howdy folks.

I've got a recent BS in computer sytems engineering, which is a like EE with some compsci mixed in. I've used CPLDs, and really want to get a good start in FPGAs so I can build my career in the 'embedded' direction.

How does one start out in fpga development given that funds are limited ?

thanks

- moi

Reply to
Eman

Buy an FPGA development board and start experimenting. You should be able to find several options by googling for "FPGA development board" or something similar. It will set you back no more than $100 to $200 for a system good for lots of learning. There's no excuse not to buy one, the cost is insignificant compared the BS degree you just purchased to help your career. Of course, this same degree didn't teach you how to research technologies and find development solutions....

Reply to
Garrett Mace

related thread:

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

for boards

burched.com digilentinc.com xess.com

Reply to
Alex Gibson

You can also try

Jean

Reply to
Jean Nicolle

Hi,

lists Altera's development kits and many 3rd party kits using Altera parts. Prices go from $99 to $7500. The Stratix 1S10 based board at $395 and the Cyclone 1C20 board at $495 look like pretty good choices to me for someone on a budget. They're supported by the free Quartus web edition software.

You can go all the way down to the $99 MAX based board though if you really want to keep costs down.

If you're still a university student, you can get a UP2 board which has a 10K70 device along with Quartus and MaxPlus2 included, for $149 US. See

for details. I would strongly recommend you learn Quartus rather than MaxPlus2 though -- while both support the 10K, Quartus is more powerful and you will learn more using it.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Betz

like

'embedded'

parts.

and

for

$149

You can find a reasonable priced Cyclone board (EP1C6) with some additional memory for about $200 at:

Martin

Reply to
Martin Schoeberl