IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

Hello,

I wonder if anyone makes something like Parallax did with PIC, but
populated with ARM ?

Anyone selling DIP40 device with ARM and FPGA and ethernet? With
bootloader, RTOS and interpreter for fast prototyping?

Digi has Connect ME device, but it is not DIP and anly 5 I/Os and UART
from the ARM device is accessible. Lantronix has Xport with 3 I/O and
UART and they are releasing new Xport AR in November with 3 UARTs and
around 13 I/Os (if I am not mistaken).

Did anyone put together an SBC size of DIP40 with modern embedded
controller? Or maybe there is an open design or open source project
runing?

Well, in case there is not, I estimate the parts for such device may be
around $10 for ARM with integrated SDRAM/FLASH and $10 for FPGA plus
few $ for PCB, labour, connectors. The ethernet is a nice connectivity
option but definitely not a must.

The prototyping could have RS232/TTL converter, DIP40 socket, 1 or 2
A/D, few LEDs and prototyping area.

With Lua interpreter the prototyping would be a breeze.

I will apreaciate ideas, links, advices, concerns and parts suggestions
(high integration low pin-count types).

Thanks

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

We posted an update of the 100mmx100mm open source board at "pcb dot
linnix dot com / sbc1 dot html".  But we need work on the Compact Flash
and FPGA config flash.  The board is headed in the right direction, but
incomplete.

The ARM (AT91RM9200) is around $20.  64M SDRAM is around $10. Xilinx
FPGA is arounf $15.  Ethernet and USB Phy are around $10.  It could be
build for less than $100.

There are two pin headers for expansion, i.e. 80 for FPGA and 50 for
memory.

Contact us if you are good at gSchem (schematic capture) and pcb
(layout).

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

You mean, like this? http://www.micromint.com/products/bolt.htm

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

This one is good, but $99 feels too much.

Thanks for the link!

Re: ARM stamp SBC ?

You can look here:

http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-h40.html

- Dejan

Re: ARM stamp SBC ?

This is almost it, also price seems to be closer.

Thanks!

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

I found another one:

http://www.dontronics.com/pasat.html

although on the higher price range.

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

You might want to look at this one.

http://www.newmicros.com/ $29

Re: ARM stamp SBC ?

I am sure we can arrange a few AT91SAM7 samples for such a project.
This would give you USB power as well.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

Olimex with their LPC2106 is the closest (especially as the price
goes). But all the units mentioned here are modest.

I thought about putting the CPU (ARM or ??) with XC2S15 (452 cells, 15k
gates FPGA). Just wondering if barebone Ethernet can be implemented in
XC2S15 ? Or CAN transceiver ?

Started actually considering Lantronix DSTni-EX, has all the bells and
whistles of networking processor. But have bad feeling about the power
needs. And there was this discussion on this board few weeks ago about
186 being non "modern" CPU.

Someone would be interested to contribute their knowhow to such
opensource project ? Seems Atmel wants to provide some samples,
although I was thinking more Philips LPC2100 series, but options are
open.

I would be willing to dedicate some resources to such project, but I
prefer crunching algorithms on keyboard before soldering.

Hopefully such device can be done for under $30 CDN parts and labour.

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

Using the AT91SAM7X chip you get both Ethernet and CAN onchip.
You can maybe find an alternative use for the FPGA...

This is in 100 pin TQFP, so I am not sure you can fit it into a 40 DIP
pinout
from a size point of view.
You probably want to have a PHY on the module as well then, because
otherwise
you are going to eat up all the pins.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

This is nice piece of hardware! Ethernet, USB, CAN, 2x USART, 2x SPI
... nice. And it is actually LQFP, so 2mm smaller than TQFP and
theoretically it could fit within 13-14mm, maybe few DIP pins could be
soldered from the bottom where CPU would be mounted.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/view_detail.asp?FileName=ARMSAM7X_9_1.html&family_id60%5

I see that Atmel just released this chip recently. Would you care to
lobby in Atmel to sponsor few devkits for such a project ? Hopefully
there is someone crazy enough to design 15mm wide PCB with it and 2
other ICs.

Any idea about price range in sub-100 or single quantities ? Digikey
(my favourite reseller) does not carry this part yet.

That is a good idea. Any suggestions for PHY ?

Thanks!

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

Here is the thought:

DIP40 board would have SMT header from the bottom, something like

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/TE/common/images/PartImages/1055014a.gif

this would leave all the real estate on the top available for AT91SAM7X
and FPGA (whatever can be fitted onto 16-18mm width).

Pin 20 would be ground and pin 40 would be power. All other pins would
contain CPU and FPGA I/Os. Ethernet PHY (DP83847 or DM9161) would be on
the bottom side with 8 signals going out via auxiliary header, i.e. not
reserving any DIP pins. Ethernet connector and magnetics would have to
be external.

Is it possible to boot FPGA from CPU instead of serial FLASH ?

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

Yes, but the CPU must be able to run without the FPGA.  I.e. not using
the FPGA for CPU glue logics.  Anyway, what are you using the FPGA for?

Also, don't forget voltage regulators, 3.3, 2.5 for XC2, 1.8 for XC3
and ATSAM

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

That's great. AT91SAM7X does not need FPGA for boot, of course. FPGA is
for configurability. Need interfacing CF or SD, various protocols my
customers invented ... But for most applications is may just be
chilling there powered down :)

Also has built-in 1.8V regulator.

And just for the record of this thread to keep the topic - I located
another one from www.netburner.com using 66MIPS ColdFire. No ethernet,
no programmable logic, just another one of those DIP adapter types. But
the ColdFire chip they used seems to have all the bells and whistles of
Atmel AT91SAM7X.

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

Then may I suggest a soft-core 1 million gates FPGA with

1. Arm 7
2. 10/100 ethernet
3. SDRAM (DDR or SDR) controller
4. CF/xD interface for booting and ATA
5. USARTs
6. 300K free gates for your custom design

in a 12mmx12mm Fine pitch BGA, or we can mount it on a 100 mil PGA
(17x17 dual rows) for you.

It would be in the $99 range, depends on QTY.

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

There is also the Avnet (Memec) mini modules

Spartan3
<http://www.em.avnet.com/evk/home/0,1719,RID%253D0%2526CID%253D25724%2526CCD%253DUSA%2526SID%253D4742%2526DID%253DDF2%2526SRT%253D1%2526LID%253D18806%2526PVW%253D%2526BID%253DDF2%2526CTP%253DEVK,00.html

http://www.em.avnet.com/ctf_shared/evk/df2df2usa/Spartan-3_Mini-Module1.pdf

a.. Spartan-3 3S400 FPGA
a.. 10/100 Ethernet Mac and PHY
a.. 256K x 32 SRAM
a.. 1M x 16 Flash Memory
a.. Configuration Memory
a.. User LED
a.. 76 User I/O
a.. AC/DC Power Supply Adapter
a.. Serial Cable
a.. Complete Reference Designs with Source Code (VHDL and/or Verilog HDL)

Vertex4 FX12 (powerpc hardcore)
<http://www.em.avnet.com/evk/home/0,1719,RID%253D0%2526CID%253D25726%2526CCD%253DUSA%2526SID%253D4742%2526DID%253DDF2%2526SRT%253D1%2526LID%253D18806%2526PVW%253D%2526BID%253DDF2%2526CTP%253DEVK,00.html

http://www.em.avnet.com/ctf_shared/evk/df2df2usa/V4_FX_Mini_Module.pdf

a.. Virtex-4 FX12 FPGA
a.. 10/100/1000 Ethernet Port
a.. 32M x 16 DDR Memory
a.. 2M x 16 Flash Memory
a.. 8Mb Platform Flash
a.. User LED
a.. 76 User I/O
a.. AC/DC Power Supply Adapter
a.. Serial Cable
a.. Complete Reference Designs with Source Code (VHDL and/or Verilog HDL)

Alex

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

Most of them don't have SDRAM or FPGA anyway.

I doubt it, not with 15K.  Why use such an old part for a new design?
I would go for XC3S200 (200K) at least.

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?

Exactly.

Even the smallest one is TQFP144. Even TQFP100 would not fit on DIP
size PCB with DIP connectors on the side.

Btw. I had a look at your board you mentioned in the earlier post, but
that is overkill for my purposes.

Re: IDEA: ARM stamp SBC ?
Not an ARM but a fast 32 bit CPU in a 40 pin DIP.

http://www.netburner.com/products/processors/Mod5213.htm

Better A/D and ingeneral a full match feature wise.

As low as $19.00 in quantity.,

Paul

Site Timeline