Did anyone plan ahead...

Washington (CNN) -- Five Guantanamo Bay detainees with alleged ties to the 9/11 conspiracy, including accused mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, will be transferred to New York to go on trial in civilian court, Attorney General Eric Holder announced Friday.

What sane new Yorker will serve on the jury?

Only those who would find the perps not-guilty :-(

Liberal/leftists/whatever-you-want-to-call-them are village idiots of the first order. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

"Democrat", "Liberal" and "Leftist Weenie" are simply politically correct forms of the noun "Wuss", sometimes can also mean "Fairy"

But I just had a positive thought... fewer New Yorkers are a GOOD thing ;-) ...Jim Thompson

  Liberal, Leftist and Democrat are polite aphorisms for YELLOW.

In New York, the verdict would most likely be guilty. Which will justify an appeal based on change of venue.

Why not try KSM in the ICJ at The Hauge?

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

My recollection is that under Federal law, the Federal District Court which has jurisdiction over criminal offenses is the one in which the offense occurred. New York City is part of New York Southern District, so that's where the trial has to be convened, at least initially.

The Federal District Court system was set up a *long* time ago... "the first Congress" according to Wikipedia.

It appears quite possible that a change of venue will occur before the trial takes place, if it appears that an unbiased and fair jury of New York Southern district residents cannot be empaneled, or if there's enough concern about this issue to raise the odds of an appeal.

I believe that when a change of venue is ordered, the judge formally transfers jurisdiction over the case to the District court in the new venue.

Doing it this way (initial hearing in New York, plea for change of venue by one side or the other, and then a formal transfer) would be "doing it by the books" according to long-established Federal court procedures and precedent.

Trying to *start* the criminal proceedings in any venue other than New York might very well foul the case from the beginning, as the defendants' lawyers could appeal based on a lack of jurisdiction of the offense under established Federal law.

Does the ICJ even have jurisdiction over that sort of case? I don't think they're set up for individual prosecutions... they handle issues between states (countries).

There have been international courts set up specifically to prosecute war crimes... but the U.S. has, in recent decade, sometimes refused to respect the jurisdiction of such courts, for fear that U.S. diplomats or soldiers in ongoing conflicts could be charged and prosecuted.

Dave Platt

I agree, and more of these..

Martin Riddle

USA does not recognise ICJ

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Why not Washington DC? Or Pennsylvania? Or Boston, where the flights originated?

I think Radavan Karadzic would disagree with that.

Well, what's good for the goose ...

If we are going to run around and claim immunity for our actions, then why can't others? Even terrorists?

And not recognizing the ICJ didn't do any good for 23 CIA agents convicted by an Italian court. It'll be interesting to see how the USA handles the extradition request.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I hope Obama complies... make Congress 100% conservative in 2010 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

  Nancy Pelosi is living proof that Botox causes mental illness.

[snip]

The same ones that won't mind being outed by Cheney.

Rube Goldberg is alive and working for Microsoft.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

] Ah,moral equivalence again.

and make the CIA 100% ineffective; what employee is going to make any effort when their actions may later result in foreign criminal convictions?

But that is what Obama wants.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com:

Still stuck on "stupid",I see. Cheney did not "out" Plame.

but you can be certain Obama is going to toss CIA employees under the bus,along with Bush administration employees. That's what the NYC terrorism trial is about. They're going to go after the Bush administration.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's too much to hope for. A few Republicans will make it too.

Reply to
krw

Actually, I think there might be a LOT of people in New York who would be willing to serve on such a jury. The judge will have to agree to exclude all the ones who are rubbing their hands together in glee, however.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson