ARM SBC in arduino form factor?

For a couple of one of a kind projects, I would like to use an ARM controller in a board that could accept (at least some of the) Arduino shields. So far I found the Xduino (status dubious) and the Cortino (

) Can anybody point to others?

Thanks,

-- Roberto Waltman

Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Googling "arduino arm" turned up a few things, this included:

Mel.

Reply to
Mel

hamilton

Thank you - I did use google, but I added shields, peripherals etc. to filter out too many unrelated hits (like "arduino robot arm") and I missed these two. The leaflabs boards look interesting.

-- Roberto Waltman

Reply to
Roberto Waltman

You asked an interesting question, even though it hadn't occurred to me; I like the leaflab boards too; I'll remember them. I'm a bit down on Arduino for a reason that I mentioned here before -- at least one shield board I find "over-packaged" and inflexible. The Ardumoto board here is working fine: lots of fun walking a stepper motor into resonance failure, and contemplating what a stepper sequencer has to do, but it won't scale beyond one shield per system without some major carving. Sometimes a shield is exactly what I want, and instantly available, and that's great; but given that I will get pushed into board building eventually, I'm just as apt to use STAMP-format boards for proof-of-concept; they're frequently cheaper.

Mel.

Reply to
Mel

mbed

seems to be a good match for you. mbed is based on the LPC1768 MCU from NXP and is actually smaller than Arduino UNO. The biggest innovation of mbed is the Cloud-based development environment. The entire system?editor, compiler, libraries, and reference materials?are completely web-based. There is no software to install or maintain on the host system.

QL

Station wagon --> Crossover Big iron --> cloud-based

It's all in how it's marketed. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Seems like a very bad idea. What if you need to make some changes a few years later, and the (original) environment is no longer available ?

I'd rather go through the extra effort of installing the tools locally.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

There are other tools that work with the mbed, using the same code.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Mike Harrison

hamilton

I dont have this entire thread handy right now, but my suggestion is the leaf labs maple.

Jay