Hardware device for embedded system

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where can I find a network device like those ADSL modem devices without a system installed? I want to install a customized freebsd system onto this device for my own use and school research. If purchase a off-the-shell modem product with the system installed, my end product will not be competitive. If I can get a hardware device only proudct without the cost of the system, it will increase my profit margin by installing my customized systems onto the device.

I found Siemens SpeedTouch is a good one, but not sure if they provid only hardware device base product for my purpose. Is there anyone had dealt with a third-party device manufacturer like this before? quite a few of them manufacture hardware devices and develop embedded systems for their device as well. I wonder what are the best methods to approach these manufacturers to get a low-cost device only (without a system) product.

Thanks Sam

Reply to
bsder

Jesus, this is why a taste of economics is part of an engineering degree.

The software development cost (what you call "the system") is an NRE. It's amortized across millions of units, and is considered essentially free. What you're paying for is the hardware.

When you buy a DSL modem, you are _usually_ buying it through a telecoms carrier who expects to make money on your monthly spend. So they will actually pay for some or all of the hardware for you. The shelf price is LESS than the manufacturing cost of the device, in most cases.

Furthermore, if you are stupid enough to build some kind of business model around hacked modems or routers, you are going to be chasing a constantly moving target. Manufacturers change their designs regularly

- in consumer electronics, it is RARE to find the exact same circuit being sold for more than 6 months.

You will easily find that V1.0000001 of the product you're buying has a totally different chipset, utterly undocumented, and you have no way of developing new software for it let alone even loading your old software.

Reply to
larwe

It is always OK to write new device drivers for their newly release hardware. In my product line I will not only develop modem/gateway products but other voip stuff as well. But important is to get a hardware that I can develop my application based upon.

Sam

Reply to
bsder

Take a look at the development boards available for ARM, Coldfire, Starcore and Blackfin. I believe there are some nice reference platforms around for modem and VoIP.

Search >> bsder wrote:

Reply to
Sonic