Oscilloscope

Hi all, I have finally decided to break down and buy a oscilloscope. But I found I don't know what to get. As this will be by first oscilloscope I don't need any thing fancy. I don't have a lot of money so a used one would be fine, if it had a manual or I could get one. I would be willing to spend maybe 60.00 usd for the oscilloscope. I did find

but I don't know what I should be looking for. So if you have any ideas that would be great. Thanks

-Kit

Reply to
Kit

Ebay.
Reply to
John Fields

That is 60$? Do you know thats just for the case. The scope itself is probably over 1k$(if they still made them).

You'll be lucky if you find a decent scope for under $100 that actually works. If your serious about the scope and can afford it then your best bet is to spend more money. You can get a pc based scope that is much cheaper than the overpriced full scopes.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

I don't know about that. I've found the older 5 meg scopes for like $5. I've found 20 Megs for $40. I've bought and still have - in great condition - two - 60 Meg or higer - dual trace scopes for $100 (together). If you look around, you can find something to fit your needs. If there are any hamfests in the area, check them out.

RAF

Reply to
Radiosrfun

I've seen the Velleman on eBay (new?) for $100 but I got a crt model, dual trace, 100 MHz with delayed sweep for much less than that there.

--
.
.

It sounds like you don't need anything more that a dual trace 20 MHz. scope (of course a 100 MHz is better). I prefer analog as apposed to digital (better for low level noise observations and random signals). As John Fields said, Ebay is probably the best place to find one. As someone else suggested, a hamfest is also a good place too. I found a dual trace, 100 MHz with all the probes and books (and of course worked too), at a garage sale (not a likely place to find one though).

Brian Ellis

Reply to
Brian Ellis
** Impoverished Groper Alert :

** There is no price for the ( " No Longer Available " ) scope in that ad.

Just prices for probes, a carry case and a special printer.

The scope would have cost at least $2000.

Here is a new scope for the sort of price you like - with a probe.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com...

scope in that ad.

WTF? It's a "single channel" model, yet has a second input to display in x-y mode? How hard/costly would it be to make the already existing y-channel into a 2nd time-based input?

Have to admit, for 100 Aus$ (80 $US) that's better than I'd expect. But if it were me, I'd go ahead and pay $400 for their dual-trace 20 MHz model:

redbelly
** Groper Red Neck Alert !

** Significantly more.

Plus you have no clue of the very many scope users who have no need of dual trace capability.

Low cost, small, sharp images and genuinely portable are real needs.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I apologies if I sound ignorant, because I am. I did not relies that was just the case. But I don't know what to be looking for. I was looking on ebay and found this

but as I don't know what to look for in an oscilloscope I don't know if it a good one. Thanks for the help

-Kit

Reply to
Kit

Could be OK but I generally avoid HP, Tektronix and the like as IMO you need to know what you are buying. If you can find someone who knows this model you would be well advised to heed their comments.

Item numbers: 270081944322, 250076958448, 110083181317 amongst others look worth studying.

BTW, the items sold by 'don230175' scream fraud to me. There's a reason the bidders' User IDs are being kept private.

begin 666 s.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```,# P ```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```(" $5 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
Damn, Homer, you just can\'t seem to keep from having your posts
scream out: "I\'M A FUCKING IDIOT!!!", can you?

And if you want to go *really* cheap, you can use your PC sound card and some software. Shameless plug: Daqarta for Windows is only US$29. (The older DOS-based version is now free, but only works with ISA-bus Sound Blasters.) Besides triggered dual-trace scope operation, it also offers spectrum analysis, color spectrograms, signal averaging, and stereo signal generation. *

The downside is that sound cards are only good for audio frequencies, typically 5 Hz to 20 kHz or so. That's nowhere near enough to serve as your sole "general purpose" scope, but it's fine for most audio work. You might miss some high frequency instabilities or oscillations, for example. But if you do a lot of audio work, it's really handy to have it generate a low-distortion test signal and show your circuit's distortion spectrum at a glance... such as for bias adjustments. That's something you probably won't find in a used scope in your price range.

Nevertheless, I have a 100 MHz "real" scope on my bench as well as the monitor for Daqarta. If you are only going to have one scope, it should be 20 MHz or more for general-purpose work.

  • PS: The Daqarta for Windows signal generator continues to work even after the free trial period expires. It's yours to keep, free of charge. Not available in any store! ;-)

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

I don't know. I can barely hear myself think for the constant racket of you screaming out: "I'M A FUCKING IDIOT!!! REALLY I AM" over and over again. Perhaps you should get the doctors to up your medication?

--
.
.

--
I think you should try to get Peter Hucker to adopt you.
Reply to

Is that your dream? To be adopted by a soccer playing man?

--
.
.

--
No dumbass, you\'re a parrot.  Read the thread about parrots and
microwaves.

Haven't seen it. Doesn't sound interesting except to someone with a limited imagination.

Homer J Simpson

--
You\'ll really enjoy it then.
Reply to