How to buy probes for oscilloscope

Hi all. Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm a rookie when it comes to oscilloscope technologies. What should I be looking out for when buying probes for, say, a 100MHz 'scope? Is it recommended to buy used probes? Are probes rated according to max bandwidth? If I buy a probe which is good for, say, a 100MHz 'scope, would it work even better for a "slower" scope? Thanks Al-U

Reply to
alpha_uma

In general you'll get the best behavior with the scope's original probes. Next best is a probe that matches the manufacturer's specs. However, for the 100 MHz range you should get fine performance with any quality aftermarket probe that's rated for at least that bandwidth. Check the usual on-line sources.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Are

for,

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking to buy a used 'scope on Ebay, and many of them do not come with probes. And I'm also wondering if it is a better idea to buy a brand new probe than a used probe.

Reply to
alpha_uma

New probes are safer than used ones, especially if you're a newbie or if you're experienced but can't test it before you buy. New scopes are safer than used ones, especially if you're a newbie or if you're experienced and can't etest it before you buy. In most instances NEW is better than used in almost every respect except PRICE.

For the older Tek scopes, the most expensive part is the manual. Second most expensive is the probe/accessories etc. Third most expensive part is the scope itself. That's why they rarely come with manuals or probes.

When buying a probe: second most important consideration...does it work properly. There are some tiny brittle resistors soldered directly to the tip. When they break, it's all over. An intermittent probe you can't trust is not a good thing. third, does it have ground wire, gripper tips etc. first, does it's compensation range include the input C of your scope. fourth, does it have adequate bandwidth.

Ebay ain't the best place to buy a scope. You never know what you're gettin'. I ran across an interesting situation where a major test equipment refurbisher was advertising stuff under an alias and claiming not to be able to test it. You know darn well they could test it and could fix anything fixable. Would have loved to know the history of that scope?? Didn't think to write down the address of the high bidder. I get all tuckered out just thinking about it.

Ham radio swap meets sometimes have great deals, and if it's broke, it's cheap. Hint: "it's broke". mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

FWIW, a company on Ebay is selling 100mhz probes new for less than $20. I got one and have been very happy with it when combined with my HP Scope.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Dombrowski

Can you supply a link to one of their items? Al-U

Reply to
alpha_uma

I don't know much about probes but I got one of these and it's worked great for my uses.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Dombrowski