Oscilloscope

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

that

this

Kit, the two scopes you have looked at so far are "Digital Storage" oscilloscopes. For starting out you want an "Analog" oscilloscope. An analog oscilloscope is the real "traditional" oscilloscope and will be easy to learn and use. A digital oscilloscope is only needed once you have (and know you have) a requirement for it, it will have a steeper learning curve and a much higher price.

Ideally what you need is a 20MHz or higher (50MHz is great, 100MHz excellent) dual trace analog oscilloscope, and the most affordable place is on eBay. People have *given away* such scopes for FREE via these groups and other places, so you might get lucky. You should be easily able to get a 20MHz dual trace model for around $100 second hand. If you want to buy a NEW analog scope, then the only one in your price range is the single channel one Phil suggested. The only advantage of a new scope is that it is guaranteed working, other than that they are poor value. There are plenty of surplus test gear places in the US that will sell you a second hand scope that is guaranteed working, but you will usually pay more than one from a private seller on eBay.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Not directed at anyone in particular, but gee, it didn't take long for this thread to go straight to hell in a handbasket...

To the OP:

I picked up a tek 465B about 3 years ago from a cable company that was going out of biz (or getting taken over by comcast, I dont remember) and liquidating all their test equipment, signal generators, scopes, etc.

I didn't know a whole lot about scopes either, but I had used the tek when I worked a previous job. I found the ad in a publication called the wantadvertiser which costs about $3 and comes out on Tuesdays. I watched that for weeks before something showed up that sounded reasonable (it was US $125). It's 2 channel, 100Mhz, analog, and works great, except sometimes the ch2 position knob sticks a little.

I did not do ebay because I get so much scam, phishing crap from people who claim to be from ebay.

Anyway, good luck. BTW, IMHO, tektronix makes the best. Or at least they did back in the analog days.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com...

as IMO you need

You are kidding right? Avoid HP and Tektronix???? They are only two of the biggest and reputable scope makers in history.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Gee Homer, you better check your shoe's! because i think you just step into it..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Yes, and they also make some oddball scopes, scopes with plugins, and other oddities. There are other things I wouldn't recommend buying unless you know what you are doing. The OP is buying his first scope. He doesn't need to wind up with something he can't use.

--
.
.

Into what?

--
.
.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

and they also make some oddball scopes, scopes with plugins, and other

Hi I found these on ebay

Is any one of these better that the others? Thanks

-Kit

Reply to
Kit

They all look good to me. I already have 7 scopes (seriously) but if I was looking for a scope I'd consider any of them.

Dual beam is very nice. A delay system on the sweep is very nice. Some of the fancier ones have a time / voltage digital measuring system built in - also very nice.

--
.
.

If I were buying, first choice would be the one you listed second (even though it looks like it doesn't come with scope probes). Second choice would be the one you listed third. Last choice would be the one you listed first.

Brian Ellis

--
Brian Ellis
FNC-Elcad

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

and they also make some oddball scopes, scopes with plugins, and other

They are all fine 'scopes. The 465 is the best of those (bandwidth > 100 mhz), but also the oldest and heaviest, if that matters to you.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Note that probes are not a cheap item even on eBay.

--
.
.

--
When you don\'t have a comeback you just parrot, don\'t you?
Reply to

--
Then I recommend that you never buy anything. :-)
Reply to

LOL, I can\'t imagine what use even one would be to you. ;)
Reply to
John Fields

You got that right! If the Op can't afford to get probes, then that scope is out. But, if he can, that scope would more than likely fill his needs, down the road (if he gets more into electronics).

--
Brian Ellis
FNC-Elcad

--
???

http://www.hififorless.com/showProduct.php?productid=65398&PHPSESSID=d048891098f0cb99f26886b328bd6e72
Reply to
John Fields

Yes you do.

--
.
.

All emulate it with a dual trace system.

--
.
.

But what you say is irrelevant. He also doesn't seem interested in a whiny nobody who adds nothing of value to any conversation.

--
.
.

Two probes = $40 plus $8.67 S&H = $48.65

That is more than some of these scopes open bids for.

Once again you prove my point AND show what an idiot you are. But nothing new there.

--
.
.