Where to buy inexpensive oscilloscope probes?

Hi - the probes for my Tektronix 2215A ( 2 channel 60MHz analog scope) are starting to fail. I was just looking online and most probes seem to be cost more than my scope. I feel like cheaper, but adequate, probes should be around. Any suggestions? Best I've been able to find was $51 for some an off brand 100MHz probe that looked mediocre.

Thanks!

-Michael

Reply to
Michael

Better deals are often available from eBay. I went looking for an example for you, but ended up buying them, myself.

Fortunately, more are available:

John Popelish

available:

Hi John - those look like off brand probes. Do you think that's a problem? The price is definitely great!

Thanks,

-Michael

Reply to
Michael

or a deluxe

I was going to look at Jameco, but I think not.

Reply to
GregS

Lately I have found it is worth it to spring for the Tek Probes. But if your requirements are not great I totally understand not wanting to spend the $$$. I have found the best mid grade probes to come from ProbeMaster

I have ordered direct in the past, but you can get them though various vendors as well. I have used the 4900 series with good results. I have not tried 5900 and the 3900 looked cheap to me, but a kit of 3 with adapters for $99 looks like a great deal. The 4900 series version is $139.

If you have a tek scope you probably want the Readout Actuator option so the scope will know if it is a x10 probe.

On 5/2/2007 10:02 AM, The digits of Michael's hands composed the following:

Reply to
Hawker

available:

They may well be off brand copies of Tektronix P6000 probes, but they have the same specs and look just like them.

It is curious that they specify the part number but not the maker.

Reply to
John Popelish

I have spent a long time looking for good probes, and the results are pretty strightforward.

  1. Nothing beats a real Tek probe.

  1. For mid priced garden variety probes, Probemaster is about the best I have found. Excellent mechanically and good electrically. Not a terrific range of probes, but great accessories. Excellent customer service, too. Made and designed in the US.

  2. For more unusual apps, the PMK probes are very good electrically, nearly as good as the Tek, but are very cheesy. Accessories can be a problem, as with all imports.

  1. Anything without a brand name is a crap shoot at best.

Haven't tried the ones Popelish recommends, maybe I'll get a set just for giggles.

Reply to
BFoelsch

Ebay

I got my 100Mhz probes at Ebay..

I think I paid $15.00US. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Take a look at

I am happy with the replacement for my flakey old Tek probe, good value for money

John

Reply to
JM

On 5/2/2007 12:12 PM, The digits of BFoelsch's hands composed the following:

Ones again someone says exactly what I mean to say, but better written. I agree 100%

Thanx Hawker

Reply to
Hawker

Yep. Those are the exact sames ones I buy :)

john jardine

I've had no quality problems but not all are X1 X10 so ask first.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson
5900 and > > the 3900 looked cheap to me, but a kit of 3 with adapters for $99 looks > > like a great deal. The 4900 series version is $139. >

I tried some aftermarket probes and I don't think they're worth a nickel. The probes on the Tek DSO are expensive to buy ($300+) but are not bad to repair. The 1 meter cable was $28, the clip-on was about $6 and new ground leads around $10. The probe is essentially new for < $50. Test equipment you can't trust isn't worth having IMO.

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

(snip)

available:

I haven't yet tested these probes, but they look like very nice Korean copies of Tek probes, The eBay seller very carefully turns them so that you cannot see the seller's label in any of the pictures. They are branded Yang Xun. Mine didn't come with a spec sheet, but this looks like the manufacturer's description:

jpopelish