OT: Printer driver anyone?

I have this Canon BJC4100 that works under Win98SE (after i installed its driver in that OS). BUT..i get "striped" printing (~0.3 ink then ~0.1 no ink, repeatedly) under Win2000. Re-installing the driver makes NO changes. Hell, i tried lying - using BJC4000, BJC4300, etc instead with ZERO change. Now do NOT point me to the useless bullshit via Google. Every one says "instant" update == LIE; one gets a program; run it and ANOTHER program is in place to run..which gets YET ANOTHER program that takes ages to run as it *takes over* the computer and looks at EVERYTHING under the sun (maybe it counts the electrons also?). That program dies with an unstated error. Useless BS. Complaining to one, i got back a question for my registration number and sales slip number - which adds Yet Another LIE in that they originally said "FREE". I have wasted many hours with this crap.

All i want is a SIMPLE printer driver, not a twenty terror-byte driver database for every computer ever made since Babbage.

HELP??????????????????

Reply to
Robert Baer

led

ly)

Where did you get your driver? This page:

(beware wrap)

claims "Driver included in the Operating System".

Try uninstalling your driver, and then run the Win2K printer wizard.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Buy a cheap new printer - it is worth your time an sanity.

Reply to
David Eather

would new printers be supported in win2k? I doubt it.....

Reply to
TTman

Is $39 too much? Says Win2K/XP support.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Please READ what i said; i have already done what you suggested; in fact (at least) 3 times to NO avail; NO change. That is why i spent so much time trying for an ALTERNATE source.

Reply to
Robert Baer

..and when the cartridge goes empty, throw it away and buy another one ad nauseum because they are cheaper than the damn cartridges?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Does NOT make sense to buy a "cheap" printer when the replacement cartridges cost _more_ than the printer... Could one modify a fuse hopper for replacing printers?

Reply to
Robert Baer

led

and

nd

You need to check the capacity of the cartridge you get with a new printer versus the capacity of the replacement cartridge - replacement cartridges can sometimes print a lot more pages than the cartridge you get with a new printer.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

talled

tedly)

.

Please READ what you said; you did NOT specify the source of your Driver That Didn't Work. For all I know you used the CD that came with the printer.

Don't get mad, I'm trying to help here.

I've never played with Win2k but from what I read you aren't the only one to have issues getting a printer (any printer) to work under it.

Are you trying to drive it directly, or use it as a "network" printer? I ask that because some say the built-in driver will "take" properly only if you set it up, in the wizard, as a network printer even if the computer isn't *on* a network.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Den 29-12-2010 09:27, Robert Baer skrev:

FWIW: I had to install my Canon Pixma IP4000i as a "Canon Pixma IP5200" to get it to run on Windows 7. To get the same thing to run under (Cack) Vista, I had to install the "IP4000i Windows 2000" driver.

The "drivers" you download via Google ads & Links that are NOT Canon or Microsoft are probably *all* just spyware and adware which, having found a beneign host, is now busy downloading more spyware and adware!!

PS: The internet is turning into Grey Goo - My AEG dryer is broken and all one can find regarding how to fix it are robo-generated ad-infested "forums" groping for your "registration" and/or MY input on how to fix it. Soon money can be made by only listing pages with actual content.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

"TTman" wrote in news:ifgbea$tfn$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

AFAIK,new printers stil come with W2K drivers. (is that same as Windows ME?)

Gotta watch out,I bought a Lexmark printer that said it had W98SE drivers right on the outside of the box,and inside there was a sheet that said that after a certain date,W98 drivers were no longer available,despite their being provided before that date.(thus already in existence.)MS just made them stop including the drivers,to "obsolete" the older OS.

It truly irks me that Microsoft blocks printer manufacturers from making printer drivers for older MS operating systems. Seems like that should be the printer manufacturers business decision if they wish to write drivers for older OS,and that MS is engaging in restraint of trade in making them not provide drivers.

I'm still running W98SE,and I need a new 3-in-1 printer,but none have the drivers for W98SE. I could have bought one for cheaper than the ink cartridges I need for my old printer. I was hoping that KernelEx would allow using newer OS drivers,but from Roberts B's posts it seems that is not the case.

I don't need a new OS,and can't afford to upgrade to one.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Robert Baer wrote in news:DfWdne51Iq_f7YHQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

I met a guy in WalMart that was doing that. the 3-in-1 printer was selling for $32 USD with ink cartidges,and ink cartridges were going for much more than that. He said he would just buy a new one when the ink ran out.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

According to Canon Europe's website that is the last OS it is certified to work on. The BJC4200 does have a Win2k & XP driver.

You could help yourself by providing some details of the driver version numbers you have installed. I suspect you are simply out of luck here. Canon claims it isn't supported and you have evidence it doesn't work.

I suggest you only consider downloading device drivers from trusted manufacturers websites. The net is alive with dodgy patched driver code and most of it is laden with malware.

Choose wisely and that need not be the case.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Reading your replies to the people who are trying to be helpful, it's obvious that we're all stupid and useless. Perhaps you can find the information you need in an investment newsletter.

Have you actually posted any _electronic_ content here recently?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Even his Spice question started with an incorrect rant.

Methinks it's time to plonk his ass. ...Jim Thompson

No, buy a refil kit... Canons are easy to do. Buying cartridges is a mugs game , usually...

Reply to
TTman

Not at all. W2K is in the NT family. ME is the bastard spawn of Win98.

Reply to
krw

Not a valid argument: (1) virtually impossible to find the "capacity" of any inkjet type cartridge, (2) replacement ones (OEM or second sources) are the SAME PHYSICAL size, (3) are expensive as hell,the cost usually more than the printer as i said,or not much less than the printer. I like cartridges where the set runs $4.50 and lasts one month or more. I also like cartridges that can be re-filled without the ink pissing allover the place leaving a mess that takes hours to clean up. HP, Lexmart and Brother FAX machines all have that problem. AND...newer printers all seem to have the cartridges chipped which prevents refilling even if there was no "pissing" problem. BTW,those chipped cartridges are expensive even from second sources.

Reply to
Robert Baer

NOW _that_ is something different! Desperate enough to try. Tried the Win95/98/ME drivers found at

and disk1 ran, disk2 ran but error message like "not installed". Someone mentioned to try XP disk; it has Win2K and XP drivers for a raft of Canon printers, but the driver is just as bad as the one that came with Win2. Now the driver set on the HD is over-written by the set from the XP disk - and i cannot find how to "restore" the Win2K set. Both Win98SE and Win2k "hide" the printer driver set in some unknown manner, both on the hard drive and on the disty CD. Any ideas?

Reply to
Robert Baer