What the the drawbacks of an 51,464,450,000,000 Hz FEL?

Hi:

I recently posted something similar messages. I apologize profusely if anyone is annoyed.

Infra-red C spectrum =3D 100,000 nm to 3,000 nm

100,000 nm =3D 2.9979e12 Hz =3D 2,997,900,000,000 Hz

3,000 nm =3D 9.9931e13 Hz =3D 99,931,000,000,000 Hz

Arithmetic mean of IR-C spectrum =3D 51,464,450,000,000 Hz =3D 5825.23388 nm

Due to the above and the inability of the device in

to exist, I'm now thinking of a free-electron 51,464,450,000,000 Hz laser for the same applications of that previous IR-C emitting device.

In addition, the emission of the 51,464,450,000,000 Hz light from this laser is constant, non-flickering and non-pulsatile =96 IOW, continuous- wave. The shape of the laser emitting this radiation is square or rectangular depending on the application. In any case, the laser faces downward from the ceiling -- or other "top" -- of an enclosure and emits the IR-C light *downwards* only.

My question is, what would be the disadvantages =96 besides the cost and bulkiness =96 of using this hypothetical free-electron

51,464,450,000,000 Hz for the applications discussed in
?

Thanks & Happy Holidays,

Green Xenon

Reply to
GreenXenon

This should work (but not during an eclipse) with no problems, however please get authorization first from the civil/military authorities in the nation on the opposite side of the Earth, directly in line with your FEL path.

Dr. Zarkov QJe

Reply to
wilby

[cuckoo! cuckoo! cuckoo!]

I think that your problem is that you're asking all the wrong questions. What you really need to ask is: Shiny side in, or shiny side out?

Reply to
JW

Hey, could you tell your "Elders" to stop pestering people on the Montreal Metro? The next one that comes up to my face is going down and getting his magic underwear atomic-wedgied really tight. And I won't be shy to grab them and toss em off to the nearest Metro cop.

Your retarded doomsday cult would be alright if it kept to itself.

How's your year's worth of cannery in the basement doing?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

...or the N'bomb (since it is Godwin's corollary).

Reply to
krw

Shiny side in. It sticks better. :)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

I did some research decades ago and found that the molecular resonance frequency of acetylcholinase is in the 54 THz range. There are probably several complex organic molecules with resonances near 51.4 THz that could be excited to the point of disassociation by application of energy at the resonance.

For acetylcholinase; my theory is that if dissociated there is no method for neutralizing the acetylcholine neurotransmitters between synapses between motor neurons, thus each neuron continues to "fire", producing a major overload to the brain, thus causing loss of consciousness.

Dissociation of other complex organic molecules in the body may have many other unintended and harmful consequences.

Tom P. Albuquerque

Reply to
tlbs101

88
-

Interesting, where can I find more research on this?

Reply to
GreenXenon

3388

us-

and

I dug up info in some college organic chem. textbooks and some college biochem. textbooks, and did a few calculations on my own. I looked for formal research papers (in the days before the www or usenet) but could not find anything specific to what I wanted to know.

Tom P.

Reply to
tlbs101

Did you ever see the "How It's Made" episode on cable TV where they show the process of making aluminum foil?

The final rolling state is done with TWO sheets between the rollers, to get the foil as thin as we want.

The shiny side is the side towards the roller and the dull side is the side that was rolled against another sheet of aluminum foil.

When people make the "shiny side in or shiny side out" jokes, at least you should know what they're referring to.

Do you actually WANT people to be dismissive and refer to you as part of the "tin foil hat brigade", Green Xenon?

Reply to
Greegor

Well, I think you NEED to think about the cost and bulkiness of such a device. A free-electron laser is most likely the most INEFFICIENT light source known, and so is only used where there is practically no other way to generate such light. Lasers, in general, are VERY inefficient devices, and a 10% energy conversion in a laser is pretty much the holy grail, many lasers yield less than 1% of the pump energy as laser output.

There are only about a dozen or two free electron lasers in the world, the electron source is generally a synchrotron, weighing hundreds of tons and costing billions of $ each.

Quoting you "the laser faces downward from the ceiling". Well, these synchrotrons generally fill an ENTIRE large building, often use superconducting magnets that need liquid helium cooling, and produce enormous amounts of Bremmstrahlung radiation from bending the electron beam. In fact, the laser effect is basically a way of guiding and amplifying the Bremmstrahlung radiation from wiggling the electron beam with rapidly alternating magnets. But, the main bending magnets produce much more dangerous bremmstrahlung radiation, in the X-ray and Gamma-ray range, and massive concrete shielding many meters thick need to be used to stop it. Also, the RF field needed to keep the electron beam at the proper energy is also dangerous. So, for the most part, you can't even be within tens of meters of one of these machines when it is running due to the multiple radiation hazards.

The idea you think you can screw a synchrotron light source into your overhead light bulb socket is quite laughable!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson
[snip]

How many GreenXenons does it take to screw in a free electron laser?

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Same as the number of Skybuck Flyings it takes to build a reliable PC.

Reply to
JW