OT: Printer driver anyone?

  • I believe it..weird and non-obvious (to say the least) solutons sometimes work.
  • I agree..my whole computer was taken over by a full scan which might run from testing all possible computer hardware running from the Babbage to the latest bleeding edge parallel processors, for all possible devices running from the cassette port on the original PC/XT to tape drives, drum storage, USB, SCSII, to hologram 3D R/W storage. It ran for a long time and finally crashed. I was fortunate in that i was running Win98SE and Avast! and only three programs were installed in the background; none of them ran (maybe because Win98SE does not support root kits etc (one of many reasons i use it). Easy to find those "extra" programs and to RIP out.

Sounds that we are a bit late in gathering REAL content, drivers, and support locally.. ...to then provide for sale. Call that stuff "Y" rated - not fit even for adults, due to availability issue.

Reply to
Robert Baer

One of the VERY NICE things about Win98SE is that it is almost 100 percent bullet proof with regard to all of the newer virii, trojans, etc. My Avast! almost never sees a problem from the internet. See my earlier response to Frithiof Andreas Jensen. The Canon PIXMA MP130 seems to be the only 3-in-1 printer that uses cheap cartridges (a set from 2nd party vendor runs about $4.50) but is now unavailable anywhere and parts/repair also may be unavailable. Pity that printer makers are so greedy..

Too bad that someone is not rich enough and pissed enough to file and pursue that restraint of trade lawsuit..

Reply to
Robert Baer

...which is total insanity; our "society" is insane and so wasteful due to pure greed.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I would like to work backwards, starting from known cheap cartridges. First pass was to start with those used in the Canon PIXMA MP130 and all of those printers are obsolete as the PIXMA. Had the dumb idea to try the 3-in-1 printers listed on PriceWatch, looked at about 15 in the long list and the cheapest is the #31 @ $17 for the Lexmart X2600, X3650, X4650, X5650 along with the Canon PIXMA MP250 which uses $19 black&$21 color, and the PIXMA MP270 which uses $21black&$26 color. NOT cheap at all... Is there something like a database that lists ink cartridges by price?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes...you missed it because you were not looking for such postings...

Reply to
Robert Baer

What's insane about doing what's in your own best interests?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Incorrect? Since when exact quotes were incorrect? And since when Documentation" does not give full possible use of various directives? Oh, what about .ALTER ??

Reply to
Robert Baer

Canons may be the ONLY ones that do not piss allover the place. But that assumes one has an "old" printer that does not demand chipped cartridges..

Reply to
Robert Baer

"Bastard" was the term applied by a number of users. I have insufficient evidence, but it seems that all those that did a CLEAN install had zero problems, finding that it was virtually immune to outside (internet) attack. On the other hand, all those that "upgraded" seemed to have nothing but grief (being polite here). You must note that WinME was the *only* MS OS that never had "security" patches..

Will try the NT driver from the European site later.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Then start, and end, with a laser printer.

If you insist on color, Kodak ink is fairly cheap. ...or fill your own (and stay away from Lexmark).

Reply to
krw

No, in that it was the most *vile* of the series. ...and that's going some.

Please! It was designed broken. It was junk as shipped preloaded.

It didn't last long enough and the market was toys.

Reply to
krw

Same here. I hate that. IMHO Google is too blame. I suspect they have some API which allows to feed the search words into a third party website which comes up with nothing but garbage.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You are perhaps a bit limited if you have to have Win2k backwards compatibility - but you should be able to find bargains that are not Vitsa or Win7 capable if you shop carefully and read old reviews.

In the UK PC Magazine reviews do lifetime cost graphs based on all consumables. I have actually bought a spare Dell 1320C colour printer when there was a special offer of 2 sets of consumables thrown in to get a spare chassis and print engine in case something ever breaks. It works well enough and cost me about £100 for each unit. The colour on normal paper is only marginally worse than my high end A3+ Canon inkjet. Third party toner cartridges are available - refills also available are not presently cost effective if you include your time.

Never pay full price for the consumables - plan ahead.

The 3 in 1 devices are the biggest rip-off going. If you have the space get a just behind the times heavy duty office workgroup laser printer from one of the discount places that deals in refurbs. The Dell 1320C seems to have a lot of returns in the UK due to the tricky assembly which requires a good steady hand to avoid trashing the print engine. Once assembled it works like a dream. I have a cheaper Samsung monochrome laser for draft work (it also does duplex and N-up printing).

I presume there must be somewhere in the US like Morgan Computers in the UK, but I have no idea what they would be called.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

So presumably you took the printer back for a refund.

Any evidence of that?

It seems more likely that the printer electronics were changed, and that there was no business case for writing a driver for an obsolete operating system.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"TTman" wrote in news:ifif9n$d19$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

last refill kit I tried,the black ink faded to light brown over time,with the document stored in the dark.

Walgreens refills cartridges,their ink seemed OK,but the last time,they rejected my empties for "electrical failures".(Lexmarks)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Meanwhile, these same companies tout how "environmentally friendly" they are by being EnergyStar or "green" compliant, using non-toxic ink, or recycled packaging, or whatever. Sometimes, you just have to laugh out loud.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Robert Baer wrote in news:5I2dnUzPscjGboHQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

Walgreens refilled one of my Lexmark cartridges,and it never leaked. They have a pretty nice machine,tests the cartridge,precisely locates the drill holes,then fills it.They seal it with some gray stuff,maybe a clay or epoxy?

My Lexmark printer/scanner/copier has two different "capacity" cartridges for both black and color.Both outrageously priced.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why do you suggest avoiding Lexmark? I have one,an X1240. I had Walgreens refill one of my black cartridges,it worked fine but then didn't pass the "electrical test" on the second refill. at least it has the holes for another refill,if I can find a low cost refill kit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

They "chip" their ink cartridges. Charge excessive prices for ink. Sell teaser cartridges with new printers. They're really a sleazy company anymore.

Dont know what that is. How old?

Reply to
krw

  • Beg to differ; said that i re-installed Win2K driver to no avail. Someone suggested to try an XP disk; found XP and Win2K drivers and installed them. same problem. Wish there WAS a CD for / "with" the printer. IF there was a CD, it is long gone as i got the printer used. If someone has such a beast i would be extremely interested. The NT driver fails saying "printer not found", and the Win5/98/ME driver (also via
    fails afrer liading disk2 with message something like "not installed".

Am giving up; now looking for any available printer that uses either a compatible cartridge that can be refilled without ink pissing all over the place (which is typical for HP and Lexmart) or cheap cartridges.

  • What is weird, is that my BJC4300 ran fine for years..until it mechanically died.
  • That was suggested, and sometime soon i hope to find time to try that scheme. Cross fingers, cross eyes, and even cross toes...
Reply to
Robert Baer