OT: Printer driver anyone?

..so, are you saying that you would kill someone if it was "in your best interest"??

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Will look into that. Are their "cartridges" expensive?
  • Do not insist on color, but the list of what i found shows high prices for the darn cartridges - and that is from the secondary "cheap" market.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Now you have my interest up! That deal seems to be a screamer, drop dead almost too good to be true. The bad news was the "tricky assembly" part. What would you recommend for a "sherman tank" printer (inkjet or laser) where the consumables (second party) are not expensive? I say "sherman tank" on purpose, as that printer would be going to Addis Ababa Ethiopia where the techs are nominally not quite up to snuff. Gotta run forever OR _easy_ to maintain / fix. ...and what does one do if limited space and need flatbed scanner? ((that is why i got the 3-in-one))

Reply to
Robert Baer

..and hope that it does not "piss" the ink all over the place!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Seems that virtually all of the newer printers are made to demand chipped cartridges (at outrageous prices).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Certainly. Self-defense is in my best interest. Less than that, it's generally not in my best interest.

Reply to
krw

I don't believe Kodak does and their ink is more reasonable. But I've given up on ink sprayers. I don't need color that badly.

Reply to
krw

Not black printers. I bought my last "7000 page" toner cartridge for my HP P2015dn for $35. I guess it's my last (in three years it's the only). ;-)

You can try here:

krw

possibly not for a cheap printer. OTOH anything that speaks postscript can probably be made to work fairly easily.

Possibly get a linux machine or mac running the CUPS print server and share the print queue over samba, I see CUPS drivers for your printer.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Of course. Self-defense or defense of a close family member, to mention a couple of clear examples.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Robert Baer wrote in news:gbadnbLR4IRF6YDQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

it's called "self-defense". B-)

Perhaps "justifiable homicide"?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

anymore.

Thanks; i forgot that Kodak did printers..will look and see what is available.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

*** SOLVED ***

The drivers on the XP disk for Win2K and WinXP are usable on Win2K if one does tricks. I tried the suggestion to install it as a network printer. The "wizard" during its sequence mentions to select network printer if it is on a network. BUT there IS NO SUCH THING, so that was impossible. So, i got nasty and went to the networks section in the control panel and followed that - - it really wants to talk/listen only to computers and then asks HOST or SERVER; i chose SERVER since the data would be going only to the printer. Well, it did not like me specifying a printer as a device - never mind it indicated that it would communicate over a parallel port. So it barfed. BUT.................. Besides all of that seemingly useless fiddle-faddle....... The BJC4100 *WORKS* properly now!

Many thanks for the "network" idea!

Reply to
Robert Baer

In addition to cheap toner cartridges (eg, see the url krw posted), there's another option: refilling the existing cartridge for even less $$ than buying a cheap replacement cartridge. Google "toner refill". I've done it on a Brother 2040, and it worked fine. YMMV

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

ed

y)

it and

ver

if

*whew* When you said that a something had overwritten the original I thought you were screwed.

nter

nel

mind

Yay!

Nobody's posted on the forums I found the idea at in a while, so Happy New Year!

Mark L. "pay it sideways" Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Robert Baer wrote in news:Gf2dnVJDq7uceYLQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

now see if that works on a W98SE system!

I guess you'd have to use KernalEx to spoof the driver installer to think it's installing on an XP system.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Your understanding of OS kernels, device drivers, (userland) apps, and KernelEx needs a great deal of expansion.

Hint: KernelEx is about adding NT APIs for apps. This has zero overlap with device drivers. The W2k kernel and the Win9x kernel are completely different animals, as are their device drivers.

Reply to
JeffM

I now have a rather long list of candidate inkjet printers chosen by cartridge replacement cost and function (print only, multi). Will start into the black only laser printers.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Actually, i never had a problem with printer drivers in Win98SE, so i have no reason to try any fiddling..

Reply to
Robert Baer