Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS

Need Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS; any equivalent driver will do; would like to get 600x800, 16 bit or 32 bit.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You can't use the drivers from

?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Going to the Nvidia/GeForce site, the drivers they had did not support Win98SE - the "best" was Win2K, and that is why i asked.

Reply to
Robert Baer

you might have to use a video card of similar vintage (to 98)

(an S3 trio32 based card with 2M or more video ram might be a good starting point)

OTOH if the "Geforce 8400 GS" is vesa compatible it should work using the vesa drivers.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Robert Baer wrote in news:bdudnUMFvoIT8NrUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

I think Microsoft is requiring companies to not provide drivers for "non- supported" MS op systems. I have a printer that HAD a driver supplied for W98SE,but MS got Lexmark to pull the driver off it's CD as of Jun 07. the Printer's paperwork still mentions the W98SE driver. No archive site has it anymore,either.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Interesting! Will see about that. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That means some enterprising person could have a site that specifically maintains "legacy" software.

Reply to
Robert Baer

MGDx has a hacked driver for backwards compatibility onto Win98SE on his site

and I've generally had good results with his stuff.

Here you are:

MB]:

According to the Readme, the Geforce 8400 GS specifically *IS* supported.

Reply to
IanM

I'd expect such a site to be "visited" by the company's, if not M$', lawyers.

Reply to
krw

If we really had an effective DOJ it would be M$ that got the visit. Isn't their a "7-year rule" on product maintainability? There sure is for car parts.

...Jim Thompson

In all your years, you still haven't learned that life isn't "fair"? I'd call you a weenie, but... ;-)

I'm sure you can still buy all the bits you need. You have to assemble them yourself, though.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

I can see requiring no NEW drivers created for out-of-support MS-OS,but to rescind drivers already created,sold with product,and archived seems predatory.

MS wants to FORCE people to upgrade.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not to defend MS, but the drivers come from Nvidia. They won't write drivers for the old OS. I think the latest series to be supported for

98 was the 6800 series... Invald44
Reply to
ingvald44

In article , snipped-for-privacy@abuse.gov says...>

...and your point is?

If I were M$, I'd want to get rid of the evidence too.

Reply to
krw

Thank you! The 81.98 driver did not list my card; this one does. Thanks again.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The site can be situated in one of those "obscure" and seemly untouchable locations in Europe..

Reply to
Robert Baer

If there was a government rule to that effect, they would be found in the CFRs (did not look).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Lemme see... does this "one" go before or after that "zero"?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not only that, but their licences *require* that the hardware support the M$ DRM "rules", so that their "newest and bestes" Gooie works THEIR way. BTW, all kinds of personal and computer configuration info gets snagged; any HW changes and you are up a tree..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Does it have to be for Win98SE?

Linux apparently supports that card natively

If you really really need drivers for Win98SE, maybe you can find the NVidia staff directory and email them directly...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett