Info about testequipment: Schlumberger 1312 Frequency response analyzer

I found an old digital frequency response analyzer in a garage sale, manufactured by "Schlumberger" and the model is "1312". It includes a sinewave generator range 0-20kHz, and an input amplitude detector and phase detector. there are three displays showing generator output frequency, detector input amplitude and phase relative to generator output. There are some buttons on the front to change generator output level and input sensitivity and frequency control. The thing is housed in a 19" rack case about 2 feet deep, full of electronics. When unit is cold, the generator output is very unstable, it gets better when unit heats up. I would like to repair this, but it's an extremely complex device so going into it without any manual would be a bad idea. The problem is I cannot find ANY information about this device on the internet. Does anyone know where I may try next? Do someone know if schlumberger firm was bought by anohter firm perhaps?

Best regards PAF

Reply to
powerampfreak

Schlumberger was a kind of techno-amalgamate in the 60's and 70's. They had their core in oil field data acquisition. I doubt that the box you had was made by Schlumberger the parent company but was most likely made by Solartron while part of the Schlumberger amalgamate.

The same kind of instrument (But a later generation) is still sold by Solartron. e.g.

The current generation of Frequency Response Analyzers are essentially lock-in amplifiers in internal architecture but with buttons and modes and power output ranges more suited to their industrial customers. I don't know where your instrument falls in the progression from analog to digital data acquisition (it is a continuum from knobs and dials and scopes on out to the latest microprocessor-controlled and all D/A and A/D systems).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

They owned Heathkit at one time, as well. Some Heathkits were sold factory assembled, with the Schlumberger name.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

old

Thanks guys for your valueable input. I noticed some of the boards inside were marked "Solar" so you're spot on. Schlumberger and solartron seems to be making very specialized equipment, not general audio measurement stuff, so I begin to doubt this device is intended for audio measurements. But it seems the phase and amplitude measurements works, I tested by placing a 6dB filter between the generator output and detector input, and the phase difference were displayed correctly. It's a tremendous piece of equipment. Half of the inside space is filled with standing boards filled with logic IC's. The rest is pure analog stuff. Unfortunately the sinewave isn't clean enough to use for distortion measurements. It's distortion is completely visible to the eye on the scope. But my heart beats for those old high quality built equipment, and I kind of rest when I can escape from the everyday demands and sit down for a while with those things.

Best regards, PAF

Reply to
powerampfreak