OT: Peanut Butter

Americans have a particular fondness for peanuts and peanut butter which has been remarked on by residents of the elsewheres of life where the legume is not as popular.

It's also probably a solid choice of nutritious calorie-dense survival foodstock for emergency situations when stored in a factory-sealed container, here a test subject tries some from a can which was packed for US military ration use in 1957:

Reply to
bitrex

With time index:

Reply to
bitrex

Fascinating. With the "blown" state of several of those cans, if he tried them he would need the toilet paper (at least...).

Which is a shame, he could make quite a bit of money selling it in now the UK, as there's none on the supermarket shelves! Mind you, there are quite a few people here stockpiling cans of food. I wonder what they will find in decades when somebody comes across them at the back of a garage?!

--

Jeff
Reply to

I have strawberry jam I made in 1987; I'm looking for a special occasion to eat it.

I have dried mushrooms in my cupboard marked best before Dec 1992. I still eat some of them.

A local Polish deli/mini supermarket had shelves full to overflowing yesterday. I chose jars of sauerkraut and meat stew (better corned beef!) and celeriac, as well as some addictive pickled herring with onions and mushrooms (for freezing).

Unfortunately I don;t want to eat that lot yet, since I'd like to reduce my weight to reduce my blood pressure.

The local Aldi also had 24 roll packs of toilet paper, which should mollify my mother (until she forgets they are there).

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I would hope that it was better than that made at the end of WW II. It was quite thick, and what little peanut oil it had, had separated. The toilet paper was two sheets, with splinters.

The crackers turned to dust when you tried to pick them up, and the tiny cans of sliced ham was slimy.

The package also had two cigarettes that were so dried out that they burnt the smoker's fingers with one puff.

Those meals kept you alive, if you could keep them down. You took your chances, when it was -40.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I use it for baiting rat traps - it lasts well and the rats seem to like it, albeit briefly.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

PB is a basic food group, but only super-crunch. The creamy stuff is boring.

We always carry a bag of beer nuts with us. It makes us new friends at bars. We love Glen Park Station and Mission Saloon, proper dive bars (currently closed!) but they both have a pitiful selection of bar snacks.

I wonder what they did with those barrels of wonderful draft beer when our idiot politicians shut them down with hours of notice.

Has everyone tried Justin's dark chocolate peanut butter cups? They are fabulous. I buy them in bulk from Amazon and seed them around the company.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

The parking situation must be getting steadily worse, with garages filling with toilet paper.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

toilet paper is like duct tape or WD-40, it's good for a number of tasks but not that good at doing the thing it says it's for on the label.

To be crass about it I figure other Americans must have noticed at some point also that dry paper doesn't really get your butt clean too good. Have to wash yourself to be clean. But the bidet never really caught on here...

Reply to
bitrex

Finally something we agree on. I also don't eat the stuff full of sugar wh ich limits me to the "natural" lines which separate. I have no problem wit h them adding palm kernel oil to prevent the separation but don't find any commonly sold brands that add the oil, but not the sugar. I even found one of the name brands with a "natural" produce that added the sugar but not t he palm kernel oil!!! What swill!

You are eventually going to be so thankful that he shut down things rather than leaving them open like in NY. Well, maybe not YOU.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

ch

I went into the basement to check the TP situation as the rolls I have in t he bathroom are running low. I found the open Kirkland bag with two 4 roll packs still in it and then realized I had a unopened bag still on the top shelf! So I'm the TP king of my area without even knowing it!!! Maybe I s hould sell rolls on Amazon.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

"Shit on a shingle" is what my father called it IIRC.

Quality probably depended on where one was, I suppose? Dad was with the

10th Mountain in Italy he said the rations in 44 and 45 (aside from the above) weren't too bad. He didn't smoke so he traded the accessory-pack cigarettes for chocolate, gum, and Coke in small bottles, when it was available.

He said stuff like particularly writing paper and yeah toilet paper was always in short supply

Reply to
bitrex

We have several brands that add hydrogenated peanut oil, but no salt or sugar. That's the good stuff!

Reply to
Clifford Heath

ich

r which limits me to the "natural" lines which separate. I have no problem with them adding palm kernel oil to prevent the separation but don't find any commonly sold brands that add the oil, but not the sugar.

Who is "we"? Are you running a peanut company? BTW, peanut butter without salt is a crime against man and nature!

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

At least in Florida, Gov. DeSantis is allowing alcohol (with meal) for restaurant take-out. So there's that.

Reply to
mpm

What about the powdered stuff? I know it's low-carb, so I'm assuming it's low on sugar too.

Probably keeps forever too. ?

Reply to
mpm

It was necessary, and thus inevitable. When our ancestors got here, and needed something to make sandwiches with, marmite hadn't been invented yet.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast is AKA: Shit on a Shingle. I've never sen it n prepackaged rations.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Foxes and badgers love peanut butter sandwiches!

TTman

But the sandwich hadn't been invented either.

But beer had. When were beer nuts invented?