OT: Just leased a real office

So, after 2 years and a bit of working from home, business has improved to the point where I really need a proper office and lab. I just agreed to lease a nice 1000 square foot space at 160 North State Road, Briarcliff Manor. That's enough for me and all my junk, plus space to add a colleague if one turns up.

Here it is on Google's satellite view:

Nice quiet leafy place at the Dunn Lane end of the building (hidden by the trees in the Google photo).

It does increase the burn rate quite a bit, but I'm expecting a big productivity increase. Plus it's walking distance from my house:

I move in on July 1, hooray.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Great! Go to Ikea! Now!

Need any gear? I have a bunch of really cool Boonton c-meters. The lowest range is 1 pF full-needle, 2 or 4-wire, bias connections on the back. Good for photodiodes maybe.

John

Congratulations, but don't let it go to your head! ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Cool. If you plan to grow your biz more it can make sense to buy a building. That's what another client did. Their loan payments on it are about the same as the lease at their previous place was. Plus it's so big that they'll likely lease part of it to some other company some day. Then their burn rate would actually drop while it slowly becomes their own.

Yay! But it seems like a long walk. Maybe invest in a bicycle :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Congrats! Hope it has the fengshui to bring you good fortune.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

If I thought it had any of that sort of stuff, I'd have to bring in an exorcist. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I was thinking of practical stuff like south facing windows and not being in a flood plain or facing a "T" intersection, but if you have dragons and positive qi aboot, then so much the better.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

As far as I know, the only dragon I'll have will be this old favourite:

(I gave up on New Age stuff about thirty years ago, but one of my sisters does it for a living, unfortunately.)

It's not in a flood plain, and the T is downhill and on the other side of the cross street. Besides, it's up 8 stairs, so any floods will have to work pretty hard to get in.

The long wall faces southeast, which is perfect. There is no window on the north side, but that's going to be a storage area anyway. I may have to get riggers to bring in an optical table, but that's tomorrow's problem--I have a 3x4 foot breadboard which is okay for now.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Spehro Pefhany expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It might be too close to home. My father liked having his business far enough away that the Mrs didn't interrupt too much. ;-)

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Excellent news!

Ecnerwal

Concratulations! Its quite a lot of space. Did you already hire a cleaning lady?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I can break stuff well enough on my own. ;0

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Maureen and I have been getting on fine with me working from home--she helps with a lot of the admin stuff too. I tease her about whether our office romance is really above board.(*)

It's when the kids and their are around that it gets difficult. They're all very understanding, but it's hard to concentrate when I'm wanting to come out and join the crowd.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) We've been married 27 years last August.

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Windows? Can you make it really dark in there?

John

Sure, all it needs is some black felt and Velcro.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

/tinyurl.com/3fytxwm.

Good luck. And appreciate the trees. They won't appreciate you back, but our evolutionary background seems to have programmed us to think that a selection of decent-sized trees in the immediate vicinity is a good thing, even when the conscious mind is aware that they can make a nuisance of themselves by blowing over in a high wind or falling apart when struck by lightning.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Ah, right at the intersection of the TSP and the Saw Mill Pkwy. That's right up the street from IBM Hawthorn, isn't it?

Reply to
krw

No, it's a good 10-15 minutes north of there--much closer to IBM Yorktown. It's a block from 9A, a couple of miles north of the TSP/9A bypasses.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

house:

Wow, ever cheerful!

John

reed

p://tinyurl.com/3fytxwm.

Well, I've had two big trees blow over in our garden in one afternoon

- one my cousins' daughters was visiting at the time, and she accused me of setting up a dramatic event to make the visit memorable. The neighbors were relieved - the wind direction left the top of one one of the trees just to the south of their house, rather than in their bedroom ...

None of those trees was ever struck by lightning - or at least not struck hard enough that we noticed, but engineers are supposed to believe in Sod's Law, or Finagle's Law or whatever you call the Law of Universal Cussedness.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman