FCC 15, home or office use.

I have read the manual for my device and the FCC 15 statement says something like.

If the device interferes with something else then I should re-orientate or re-position the something else. If something else interferes with the device then I should re-orientate or re-position the device.

So, I was thinking about building this powerful electronic aeroplane messing about with thing and installing it in something like a Winnebago and driving about airport perimeters. Obviously I'd have to stick some big letters on the side saying FCC 15 compliant and add some small print and have an instruction manual.

So, if aeroplanes start falling out of the sky, I can point to the relevant section and suggest that they sort of fly them elsewhere or in different directions. Of course, if the aeroplanes start dropping too close I can drive my home/office down the road a bit.

As a result I am fully compliant.

Does anyone have a design for an aeroplane killing mouse?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

IIRC, Part 15 says that you're not allowed to interfere with anybody, and anybody is allowed to interfere with you.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

But then, Part 15 is part of US regulations -- while I'm sure the UK has something similar, I bet it isn't 'FCC part 15'.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

We have EN55022 (which has A and B), sometimes known (even in the states) as 'Harmonised emissions standards' for most equipment. There are others if you have communications equipment (R&TTE directives for example)

Basically says the same thing for part B (emissions levels are identical to Part 15) and as Phil says 'you can't interfere with them, they can interfere with you and you mustn't do anything untoward because of it'

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

That is correct.

...Jim Thompson

I remember the days I used to live a few houses down from a HAM with a tall antenna on his roof and a habit for transmitting SSB worldwide in the evenings. When I toild him I could hear his transmissions through my LP turntable, he told me that since his transmitter was licensed by the FCC and my turntable wasn't that it was not his problem.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Well, that makes sense to me but the manual says like what I said. Does that mean they got it wrong? Actually the manual used to say that but now this stuff doesn't come with a manual (I suppose that's a cost saving thing) but it has a sticker on it that says it has been tested to be so so that must be OK as well.

I suppose it's like 'tuning' a TV aerial back in the good old days.

Anyway, isn't your last statement open to all sorts of seriously wide and deep political interpretation?

BONUS!!

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Are you planning on driving that Winnebago to the US?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of course, it says more than that, in that power levels are specified, antenna limits are specified, and frequency range for actually transmitting (as opposed to incidental radiation from a non-transmitter which obviously can't be limited by frequency) is specified.

So there are limits to begin with in how much interference can be caused, followed by the bit about how it's your responsibility if you interfere.

And of course, Part 15 is only applicable to the US, though other countries must follow similar rules; either that or there may be plenty of things being used that shouldn't in non-US countries.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

If it was DESIGNed properly, then no it wasn't his fault. Merely transmitting is not a crime, at least not if one is licensed. The problem derived from his being close to you, not because he was putting out a bad signal. This is actually a pretty common occurrence, because the first stage of a piece of audio equipment can be overloaded by a strong signal, and it starts rectifying the radio signal. Properly bypassing the input of that stage fixes the problem (the lack of which may be bad DESIGN), or of course the transmitting station can go off the air. But since he is licensed, and the issue is the phono preamp, he has no requirement to go off the air.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

In message , dated Tue, 22 Aug

2006, Genome writes

Since you are being serious for once, I'll point out that however FCC Part 15 is interpreted, the situation in Europe is different. It is true that your equipment is not allowed to interfere with other equipment, but there are two more provisions:

  1. Your equipment must not be unduly sensitive to emissions that can be expected in the environment in which it is intended (by the manufacturer)[1] to operate.
  2. If 1. is true, that 'other equipment' is also not allowed to interfere with yours.
[1] 'by the manufacturer' is only fair, because you could operate the equipment somewhere that the manufacturer never expected, such as in a power station or a mine.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

He was right and wrong.

Amateur radio transmitters aren't licensed by the FCC. Rather, the amateur operator is assumed to know his stuff, and is required to insure that his transmissions follow the rules. The rules are worded this way to distinguish the amateur operator (who can build his own stuff if he wants) from the Citizen's Band or Family Radio band operator (who can only buy certified equipment, and gets slapped if he modifies it).

If, indeed, his transmissions are up to snuff then indeed you are out of luck. It's considered Very Good Form for the operator in question to help his neighbors out with this sort of problem, but that is etiquette, not law.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Assuming you are an American.........

That's a bit pretentious.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

In my new neighborhood, visible antennas larger than a Direct-TV dish are banned by zoning and CCRs. And I no longer listen to LPs, so no problem.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Are you saying they have a model that drives on water?

I mean, like, I overcame that personal problem a while back but driving on water might be quite useful. Of course I'd like to avoid the three way import, export liscensing type problems so I can get hold of a couple of extra twits for my mouse.

Or maybe I should put in a request to have my Winnebago pimped. Then it can all be sorted Stateside.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Sorry, Federal law trumps local law. It was passed what, six or seven years ago now? No local municipality can restrict a legally licensed person or station from erecting an antenna. Building codes for such things as tower guy wire strength, footings, and all that "safety and building standards" exempted from the law.

By the way, does anybody in this frikkin group know how to snip?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

In message , dated Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Michael A. Terrell writes

DRIVE it?! Over here, Winnebagos are for parking in front of the house and polishing. They are too big to fit on British roads. So are Humvees.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Well, there you go.....

If I read that right then you are asking for 'best practice', without responsibility (and a cut of the profits as an expert witness).

DNA

Reply to
Genome

In message , dated Tue, 22 Aug 2006, "RST Engineering (jw)" writes

[snip]

Yes. But too few.

-- OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try

and

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

But private contracts, such as restrictive covenants, aren't.

Yes, but apparently your threshold of pain is much lower than mine.

Are you on a slow dial-up or something?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services