More Leftist Ignorance...

u knew some one was going to shoot up a school this afternoon, you would us e a better weapon. Bun a handgun is reasonably easy to carry and while it may not stop the deranged assailant, it certainly would distract him. And if there were two people with handguns , the shooter might decide to go so me where else. Maybe a shopping mall.

One person with handgun clearly isn't enough. Apparently there was one secu rity guard with a handgun hanging around outside the Stoneman Douglas schoo l and he obviously had zero deterrent effect. Nathan Bedford Forrest did em phasise that getting there first, with more men, was the key to military su ccess, so presumably we need a Keystone Cops crew of gun nuts running from school to school, deterring everybody (when they are around).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Rumored to be a gaseous form of fentanyl.

lunatic fringe electronics

High tack PU glue jets is the closest so far. Epoxy is far too slow and too exothermic used in bulk. Scaled up spidersilk would be even better.

Including the operatives of the device. ISTR there was once some US anti-riot weapon that was a giant whistle tuned to 11Hz or so.

Opiate tranquillisers have been used this way. It did not end well.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Apparently Trump would have been happy to go up against the guy even without a gun. But then, he is a very stable genius, and would make everything great again.

Reply to
David Brown

If it's only body count a terrorist is after there are many locations far better suited to a massacre than a school is. A window in a tall building with a long-range weapon that puts you out of reach of most weapons even civilians who are armed have, overlooking a large crowd of unarmed people attending a concert springs to mind.

Schools, like churches, Planned Parenthood clinics, Federal buildings, marathons, pop concerts, and World Trade Centers are "ideological targets", they are targeted because of what they represent not how effective an attack will be from pure statistics. Anything less than a heavily-armed military detail won't pose much of a deterrent.

Reply to
bitrex

Schools should hire armed guards, but have them teach Drivers' Ed instead of standing around. They'd save 50x as many lives that way.

lunatic fringe electronics

The only effective defense against a determined, heavily-armed, and possibly armored attacker or attacker with the element of surprise in a school is a swift evacuation by any available means as rapidly as possible.

Any of this untrained civilians/teachers messing about with firearms trying to be a hero stuff is just wasting time and costing lives. Body armor is cheap and readily available and the next time it happens the assailant _will_ be prepared for that eventuality.

Reply to
bitrex

Ballistic body armor is relatively cheap, readily available and getting lighter and stronger all the time.

The LA shootout back in the 1990s showed that two drugged-up and determined attackers with body armor and assault weapons can hold off pretty much the entire LAPD (with the weapons that force had at that time) for over an hour.

If they had been targeting civilians instead of mostly focusing their fire on LEO it would've been a real mess, they managed to fire off something like 2k rounds, took multiple direct body hits from small arms rounds and shotgun shells, before they were finally gunned down.

Reply to
bitrex

The nearest he'd get to a fight is an osteophyte.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Well that's the best I got on short notice. :-(

Reply to
bitrex

Den tirsdag den 27. februar 2018 kl. 16.10.08 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

afaiu one of the problems was the military wouldn't tell what it was so the hospitals had no idea what to do

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Trump just might be impetuous enough to do just that...

What would Win do... hide behind mommy's skirts ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Strangely, we had fewer shootings (hardly any) when everyone had guns, and brought them to school.

That is, there were plenty of guns thirty years ago, but we didn't have these shootings. So, guns can't be the cause.

And we don't see it in private schools, nor Catholic schools.

The question has to be, "Who weaponized the children who attend public, government schools?"

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

What a bird-brain statement. The "Right" oppose teacher unions that protect BAD teachers.

Bitrex certainly needs some exposure to places other than the People's "Democratic" Republic of Massa2shits.

Out here in God's country teachers in private schools generally don't make as much money as union-protected, but are rated higher in competency than union-protected, and (proven by interviews) are happier at their jobs than union-protected.

Explain that.

Or most Charter Schools.

Answer: Social media and bullying via that "communication".

We should ban "smart phones" below the age of 25 >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

No one is saying that but keep lying. It's all you can come up with.

Keep lying. It becomes you.

Reply to
krw

More precisely, those who are licensed to carry would be allowed to at their work place. They can carry while off the clock. Simply allow them to protect themselves when at work, too.

Reply to
krw

Keep talking nonsense. You're good at it, Shorty.

Reply to
krw

I think everyone who believes guns should be confiscated should be forced to have a sign saying so, posted on their front door.

Reply to
krw

Oh, good grief, Win. Stick to what you know, then. Let me put it to you this way, in the above situation, would you rather have a handgun or a plastic spork?

The original issue, which you stepped right into, though, was the velocity of the bullet doesn't matter at all. Either will kill you just as dead.

Reply to
krw

It's not about training at all. If a teacher is allowed to carry a weapon when he's not working, why shouldn't he be able to protect himself when he is. Protecting himself, he's also protecting those around him. Enough teachers (or even the possibility) is enough to suggest that the perp try a softer target, which is why they chose the school to begin with.

Reply to
krw