More Leftist Ignorance...

Why? Because it's black?

Reply to
krw

An AR-15 is *NOT* an "assault rifle". Though it may look scary like an M-4 it is not. No one said anything about bump stocks (and one wasn't used). Note that Obama didn't want to do anything about them either. It sounds like you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Lefties never do.

Reply to
krw

Allowing the teacher to own a gun isn't the same as giving them the additional job function of security. If they choose to carry it to work then keeping it secure is complicated.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Den onsdag den 28. februar 2018 kl. 01.21.00 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com:

banning bump stocks is pretty much impossible since a shoestring or rubber band will work just the same

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Most people are of no use with a handgun. And I mean MOST people. It takes a lot of work just to be margnally competent with a long gun, much less a sidearm.

They choose the school because it's a school. Well, sometimes they choose churches.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Wrong. It's precisely the same thing. If they're carrying it for their protection, they're also protecting those around them. It's no more difficult than keeping the weapon secure anywhere else. If you're worried, put a gun safe in every teacher's desk. They're cheap.

Reply to
krw

Nonsense. *EVERY* day, common people protect themselves, using handguns. Just the fact that schools would no longer be "gun free victim zones" would go a long way.

Exactly. ...and for exactly the same reasons. They're soft targets.

Reply to
krw

Shhh! Don't confuse leftists with the facts.

Reply to
krw

Yep. But don't tell the libs. They'll want to ban shoes with laces and rubber bands. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Den onsdag den 28. februar 2018 kl. 01.49.37 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com:

even the ATF understands it

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The AR-15 is not an assault rifle. It's a plain, old, ordinary rifle. Nothing magic or extra-bad about it.

If citizens don't need AR-15's, why do policemen need them?

Do the police need AR-15's with large magazines because they're planning on committing mass murders with theirs? Or do police like that particular firearm for being reasonably accurate, appropriately powered, reliable, handy, etc.?

"Stocks." Which is simply a stock with a spring in it that bounces the gun off your shoulder and into your trigger finger again when the gun fires.

You can duplicate the action with an appropriately-tied rubberband or a shoelace. But the accuracy of all three setups is terrible.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

But Shorty has been sleeping his whole life. Don't wake him now.

Reply to
krw

You can't have shooting without a gun, so "guns can't be the cause" doesn't actually follow.

The number of households with guns does seem to have declined since 1974 - it peaked at 50.$% in 1977 and had declined to 31% in 2014

_1972-2014.pdf

The number of guns in private hands seems to have gone up, with just 3% of the population holding half the privately held guns, which does point a pic ture of an increase in the number of gun-crazed lunatics owning lots of gun s, which may be where the problem is coming from.

AS James Arthur points regularly, mass shootings are statistically insignif icant as a cause of death - as opposed to a cause of distress - so the prob lem is not the mass of gun owners, but rather the occasional lunatic buried in that mass.

Better gun control laws do seem to be able to disarm enough of the lunatics to help.

There seem to have been 31 school shootings in the US since Columbine in 19

50948.html

suggests that 10% of US schools are private (with the majority of them Cath olic). Statistically speaking, we'd expect three of those shootings to have been at one of these private schools, all other things being equal, but th ey aren't equal, since private schools can expel difficult students, and pu blic schools can't, so the public schools are more likely to end up stuck w ith the kind of psychopath who will develop into the perpetrator of a schoo l shooting.

The 2nd Amendment? And a society that allows households to hold stock of mi litary grade firearms, not locked up?

James Arthur's rhetorical questions expose the emptiness of his rhetoric.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I love to mangle firearms terminology all the time, and call different guns the wrong term. Gun nuts are nonplussed about dead kids but are guaranteed to throw a hissy-fit if someone categorizes one of their favorite things improperly, which is amusing and also sad.

Reply to
bitrex

ck

And Jim thinks that math teachers who teach "New Math" are BAD teachers.

If I was a non-union protected teacher in a private school I'd be very care ful about saying anything that suggested that I was unhappy with my job or my rate of pay. The kind of right-wing lunatics that run charter schools in the US are very sensitive to statements that might be seen as trade-union activism, and will fire anybody they suspect - no matter how unreasonably - of this moral defect.

Private schools can expel disturbed students. Public schools can't.

Only about 10% of US schools are private (and most of them are Catholic) so you'd only expect three of the 31 school shootings that have happened sinc e Columbine in 1999 to have happened at private schools - all things being equal. The private schools right to expel troublesome students does give th em an advantage on this particular playing field.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It depends a hell of a lot on the handgun. When I was a teenager, a man le t me shoot a series of targets with his target pistols. An untrained as I was, I shot a 240 out of 300. And when I was on Kodiak I got to shoot a Co lt Python. And it was very accurate. I also got to shoot a government issue .45 and I could not hit a 3 foot wide target at about 15 yards. And in boot camp I gase back a .45 to the instructor because I thought it was broken. It turn ed out to have such a strong trigger pull that it was all I could do to fir e it and impossibe to aim well.

Reply to
dcaster

Speaking of crazy... Anyone who thinks an AR-15 is a suitable choice for a school shooting has completely forgotten about Virgina Tech.

In that case, the shooter (also crazy) used two weapons: A .22 caliber Walther P22 and a 9mm Glock-19, the latter being probably the most popular handgun in America at the time.

Body count: 32 killed, 17 wounded (and another 6 wounded just trying to escape). And all that without even so much as an extended magazine.

Jared Lee Loughner used a 9mm Glock to kill 6 people (including US District Judge John Roll), and injure several others (including US Rep. Gabrielle Giffords) back in early 2011. BTW: Another nut job. This time, paranoid schizophrenia.

Maybe you should not be so quick to vilify the AR-15?

Reply to
mpm

So what's Jim going to do? Come at you on a full run while his dentures fall out? Maybe he can gum you to death?

You'll die of laughter first!

Reply to
mpm

Actually, at close range like a class room the difference in effectiveness of the weapons would be *closer* (still not equal) than say in the play areas outside. I used the word effective because the desires of the protagonists are different. The good guy wants to stop the shooter, incapacitation is sufficient. The shooter wants to kill so has more emphasis on lethality.

Further down someone mentioned training. As far as I can see most of the shooters did have ample training - they trained themselves at gun ranges and on computer games. Not as comprehensive as military or police training but more than enough to make themselves much more dangerous than a noob shooter.

--
I look forward to the day when a chicken can cross the road without having
its motives questioned.

Nah, you're just stupid.

Reply to
krw