Re: Queen of Ignorance

> (One recent movie, Clint Eastwood's 1992 "Unforgiven," actually gets > this right. Sheriff Little Bill Daggett, played by Gene Hackman, > ruthlessly enforces the law that no guns are permitted within the city > limits of Big Whiskey, Wyo.)

Concealed carry hasn't been involved in any of the mass shootings I recall, so it's just not relevant. Tommy guns were available 100 years ago, with 100-round drums, and with no restriction on sales, but nobody used them this way. The change is in people, but public discussion doesn't seem interested in asking why.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Tommy guns are available now, too (with a federal license). They still haven't been involved in any mass shootings.

Reply to
krw

Lock that witch up. Now!!! Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Hollywood's 'action movies' would seem a likely culprit, given that we know some people are totally incapable of understanding the difference between fact and fiction.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Particularly when the fiction is published in Russia Today.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yourself being a prime example of such a person, e.g. your repeatedly stating that Russia Today is a trustworthy news source!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Gee, before Trump Derangement Syndrome, you leftys sure thought it was.

Reply to
krw

Just a couple of years ago Obama signaled a retreat from the Middle East with his Iran deal, and, the very day after it was final, Putin started sending forces into Syria. Nobody on the left even noticed the connection because they really don't care what Russia does any more than they did when they denied Hiss was a spy. But they sure know how to pretend.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

s after Las Vegas

Cursitor Doom needs a session in a ducking stool. His brain - or whatever h e uses instead of one - does seem to be overheating.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Please stay there.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Ditto. One wonders if you have a point?

IOW, no free press. ...nor free speech.

Because you (leftists) won. We can learn something from that.

Reply to
krw

Yes. All those country boys, growing up with guns and tractors, whupped the butts of the Master Race and the Samurai warriors. They made damned fine soldiers and sailors and pilots.

 Click to see the full signature

John Larkin wrote on 10/4/2017 3:59 PM:

As usual, living in his own little world.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

They made adequate soldiers. There's an American industry that lives on telling Americans how wonderful America is and, and John Larkin is an avid subscriber to every last bit of the fantasies that they peddle.

The Russians beat the Germans, not the Americans or the rest of the allies - we all played a minor role.

Nobody ended up having to invade Japan, and the Japanese killed on the Pacific Islands that did get taken were mostly malnourished to the point where they could barely move or fight. Killing off even sick Japanese troops wasn't easy.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e,

The kind of psychopathic liars that krw fancies don't find a big enough mar ket to sustain a whole newspaper. England does have the Daily Mail and the Express, but it also has more lunatics like krw and Cursitor Doom who are w illing to pay for the kind of heroic fantasy that they like, and there's al ways Russia Today, which is a Russian propaganda organ.

Norway is smaller and saner, and has proportional representation, which mea ns more political parties, which means that most shades of sane political o pinion get represented in government. Krw wouldn't like it, but it does hav e other things going for it too.

The idea of krw learning anything is comic. Krw claiming that he could lear n anything is actually pathetic - he likes to think that he could process n ew ideas, but what he posts makes it obvious that he can't, and won't and c an't conceive that anything he thinks he knows could possibly be wrong.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Damn straight they did, and it helped Europe too.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

You are joking, right? Were your history classes /that/ distorted?

In WWII, the Americans played their part - no doubt about it. They joined in when it was clear that they had to, because a German dominated Europe would be bad for US business, and would eventually have led to a German dominated world - including the USA. Earlier in the build up to WWII, the USA was quite happy to support Germany, business as usual.

Once the Americans got serious about the war they provided a lot of good equipment, a lot of resources, plenty of manpower, and unending enthusiasm. But the competence and training left much to be desired - the soldiering abilities of the average American grunt was well below that of the average British or German squadie. Perhaps the US forces assumed that because all these "good ol' country boys" had grown up with guns, they didn't need any training.

There was a popular saying in Europe in WWII: When the British fire, the Germans duck for cover. When the Germans fire, the British and Americans duck. When the Americans fire, /everybody/ runs for cover.

Reply to
David Brown

Oh, I intend to - the American political system appeals to me slightly less so than the Iranian one.

No, it means we have free press and free speech - but there are limits on how much media can lie to people, so that people are able to trust them more. In the USA, loser regulations mean that your media are freer to say whatever they want - and no one can believe a word they here.

Over in the USA, you have far too much emphasis on the rights and freedoms of corporations, and not enough on the /people/. This is, I think, because you mistakenly believe you can have both - probably because those corporations tell you so.

I am at a loss to see how anyone would think "we don't have to be afraid" as a bad thing.

Reply to
David Brown

And no doubt you believe US troops drove the Japanese out of Burma

And that the naval enigma machine was salved from a U-boat by US naval forces

etc etc etc

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nowhere near as much as most Americans like to think.

There are heroic (and lucky) soldiers in every army. Most of them end up dead, but the survivors get a good press. Anecdotal evidence doesn't address the average or median quality of the soldiers involved.

I know you count John Larkin as a friend, but he's still wrong.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

St Valantines Day massacre, too few victims?

Jasen Betts