Leftist and Eoro-peon Education Experts

Wonder if our resident Leftist and Euro-peon experts regarding the American educational system would care to comment on the success of Charter Schools?

Charter schools receive _exactly_ the same amount of funding from the state per student as do the public schools, but produce CONSISTENTLY better qualified students than do the public schools.

There is no tuition paid by the students.

Everything is FREE.

Enrollment is totally open, signs out each summer on where to enroll.

Consistently misbehave in class... expelled. But can't be expelled for struggling to learn, you get "special needs" assistance. School buses just like public schools.

Teachers aren't unionized... don't perform, get canned.

Teachers don't go out on strike.

Charter schools are the only ones open in Arizona right now.

Graft and corruption, prevalent in the public schools, are handled by the Charter Schools just as in most corporations... fired and prosecuted. In the public schools, corruption gets you promoted.

...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

And they don't have that huge administrative overhead that equals or exceeds the budget applied to the students.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Indeed! Even though many of our charter school corporations are quite large.

Bureaucracy destroys competency.

I dropped out of the corporate bureaucracy world in 1973 because I tired of the corporate political games.

By age 24 I had already toppled a Motorola VP off his high horse (Leo Dwork, look it up), by I didn't like having to live that way.

So I've stayed all these last 45 years with only having to deal with technology... and telling people to their face, if they have their head up their ass, that they do ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

I wonder how that works. Corporations aren't exactly free from graft and co rruption, but the cases that make the newspapers are mostly about paying fo r work that didn't get done, or kickbacks that made sure that the work that was done was subcontracted to the guy who was willing to pay kick-backs.

Corruption that got you promoted would presumably involved splitting the ki ck-backs with your boss and promising bigger kickbacks from a more responsi ble job.

Which doesn't seems to say anything about corruption.

Arizona spends less per head per year on secondary education ($7,489) than every other state except Utah ($6,575) and Idaho ($6,923).

er-pupil-data.html

Spending per pupil within Arizona varies a lot between school districts - f rom $6,175 to $21,446,

This more or less mirrors the range across the US states, where New York sp ends - on average - $21,206 per pupil

Clearly Arizona's distribution of spending across school districts is biase d towards spending less.

Arizona class sizes are larger than the national average (18.6 students per teacher versus 16), teachers are less experienced (11 years versus 13.7 ye ars) and the teachers are paid less ( $46,384 per year versus $58,353 per y ear).

Clearly the charter schools in Arizona are a device to avoid paying union r ates to teachers, and the teachers who get stuck with poor pay and larger c lass sizes move on as soon as they get the opportunity.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Someone needs to remind the resident village idiot that money spent and education quality aren't necessarily proportional.

I just pointed that out... private enterprise delivers a higher standard of education (for the same money) than public unionized schools... 186,000 such students here in Arizona prove that.

Why can't the resident village idiot get a job? (Or demonstrate that he was productive in the past ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

The entire Catholic school system in Oakland CA was administered by I think three nuns.

Private, charter, and Catholics schools have the option to expel the worst kids. Public schools get stuck with them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That must have been awkward! :-)

Reply to
Bill Martin

Yes, that must have put Jim in an undignified position.

"I just popped in to tell you one thing."

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

But there's no reason the public schools must put those bad kids in the same school as the others.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

When you talk to left-wingers in NYC, they say it needs more money, and you can point out that the amount spent per student is already over $20k, but it's like talking to a rock.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

so they get passed around like a hot potato until they end up in a school with nothing but bad kids, at which point they are basically a lost cause and it is only a matter of time before a lot of them end up in prison ...

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

And, they do have a glossy website that tells you so. At whose expense? I'm thinking there's a lot of PR money spent on charter schools.

Reply to
whit3rd

Putting up and maintaining a web site costs a few percent of one bureaucrat's salary and benefits. Probably one of the kids can do it for extra credit.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you put them with good kids, the good kids don't keep them out of prison. They just get hurt.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I'll have to rethink how I should phrase that >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Hey, BTW, you never commented on the "Floating simulated inductor" thread, and I was curious what you thought of Pease's idea.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Right. The good kids get put in prison too.

Reply to
krw

Rocks are useful.

Reply to
krw

Krw is the resident village idiot, but Jim isn't far behind.

The three US states with the lowest spending per head on secondary educatio n - Utah, Idaho and Arizona - all favoured Trump over any of the other cand idate in 2016 presidential election. That's fairly clear evidence that thei r education systems hadn't worked well.

does point out that Arizona hires less experienced teachers, loads them wit h larger class sizes and pays them less than the US national average.

None of this guarantees worse education, but worse education is what you'd predict from that kind of evidence.

How? Who measures the standard of education delivered, and where are these measures documented?

This is the kind of question that the resident village idiots don't seem to be able to ask or answer.

Jim hasn't got a job because he prefers to sell his services as a sub-contr actor, which lets him get away with being persistently obnoxious.

He doesn't seem to understand patents or peer-reviewed published papers, an d thinks that getting a Ph.D. is something that only pretentious buffoons d o (though Trump hasn't got one). I'm happy to agree with him that some peop le who get a Ph.D. are pretentious buffoons, but even for them it took seve ral years of fairly high level work to earn the qualification (which Jim ne ver bothered to put in, perhaps because his family circumstances got in the way).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

US education is organised school district by school district. The average e xpenditure per head per year in New York State is $21,206

er-pupil-data.html

but there will be school districts - even in New York State - that only spe nd around $6,000 per head per year (where more money would make a real diff erence) and others that spend quite a lot more than $20,000 per head per ye ar - presumably on music and ballet lessons, and educational trips to Europ e - where one runs into diminishing returns.

The "rock" here is Tom Del Rosso, who hasn't woken up to the problems creat ed by massive inequality, and probably won't recognise them when they are p ointed out to him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to