metric usage

Your retarded non-variation of total bullshit is an exact, perfect example of someone that doesn't know a goddamned thing about a goddamned thing.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

refrigeration guys use bars relative to atmospheric pressure, even though the refrigerant is in a hermetically closed system.

they claim it makes sense since then negative pressure means even minute leaks will eventually cause air to be sucked into the system so it stops working

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

message

isn't germans usually L/100km ?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

message

The US version computes miles/gallon. And about 78 other things. How to transition between displays, I haven't yet figured out. It took me two months to sort of figure out the radio presets. I envy my wife for her Honda Fit, or at least the driver interface. If she wants to change something, she grabs a knob and turns it. I have to take my eyes off the road, look at digital displays, and press a sequence of featureless black buttons, many, many times.

There's no air conditioning on/off control. They sliced the system states some other way, so you have to solve the puzzle.

John

On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:34:20 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

These things are designed so that an idiot can use them. To do that, they hired an idiot to do the designs. You should try my Samsung TV remote control. It is like a booby trap, if you ever managed to start a movie via the LAN, and are 70 % through watching it, then if you press the wrong button on the remote (most of them qualify in that mode), then it exits the movie. As there is no FFWD, you have to find the movie again (in 42 pages of short cut file names without extension), and play the 70 minutes or so to get back to where you were. Better remove the batteries from the remote once it plays. But never mind, in the folder 'all videos' each entry has a nice picture of a film roll in front of it. I am inclined to think that he guys who design that stuff never use their own designs. They are just at a desk somewhere typing code, probably in C+++++, or Java. They do not even have a TV, or as in your case a car. They could not, I would not pay them enough for that crap to buy one. Full circle. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

remote

file names without extension),

Just sit it gently inside a sturdy steel tool box and close the lid.

Why don't you Europeans have a High Commission in Brussels that harmonizes human interfaces? You regulate almost everything else.

film roll in front of it.

designs.

The problem is that they are too close to the design. It's obvious to

*them* how it works.

Don't get me started (DGMS) on digital cameras.

John

Are you sure about that? There is in the BMW.

remote

cut file names without extension),

No that would remove all the fun. You have to have a bunch of dopeheads out in California (or elsewhere) dreaming up new GUI icons for features that are completely incomprehensible. And then nested layers of screens where the most commonly used features are placed at remote nodes.

At least with accelerator keys you could tell someone over the phone to press F6 Alt_T Crtl_Shift_Z or whatever. Cryptic and opaque but at least unambiguous. Have you ever tried talking someone through pressing the icon on the left that looks a bit like a gnome sat on a mushroom (well it does to me anyway) then the one that looks like morse code. You are in a maze of twisted icons that all look alike...

film roll in front of it.

designs.

The usual problem is late changes by marketing that make what was once a sensible design have interesting quirks. A lot of this stuff is simply not thought through properly and the result is pretty silly.

Your Director General of Mine Safety regulates digital cameras?

Digital cameras are one of the more successful examples of consumer digital technology - greatly increasing the public use of photography although seriously damaging Kodak and Polaroid in the process.

P&S digital cameras are now virtually idiot proof - far more so than film cameras ever were.

OTOH digital DAB radio in the UK is a very hot topic now with the government wanting to switch off FM in 2015. DAB+ could have worked iff they had allocated enough bitrate to the quality music channels but they didn't, and the result is a mess. It didn't help that there was no specification for the chipset delay time so if you have more than one DAB radio the sound is very odd where it overlaps. There are also plenty of difficult reception areas even where FM is very strong.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

film roll in front of it.

designs.

More like an idiot like you thinks that there is only one app written to perform the job.

The other problem your 'type' has is that you decide such things, then resign yourself from ever using them, and then (even worse) act as if you're a goddamned expert at it after very likely not using it correctly the first and only time you did use it.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

Areal ???

You're an illiterate imbecile.

You need a course in English as a Second Language

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

You lose. The term "areal density' in hard drive circles refers to the number of bits fitted into a given area.

ergo the term 'areal' is a real term, and you have yet again proven that it is you that is the imbecile.

Much less the fact that the usage of it was also 100% proper and valid.

That makes you a total retard, as I also already declared about you.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

[...]

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Apr 2011 03:02:46 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

remote

cut file names without extension),

film roll in front of it.

designs.

Yes, but I know know may canon A470 has a manual focus possibility. Just that it is so complicated to find and use, in that special firmware, that I need 30 minutes at least every time to find it. So I do not bother. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

remote

cut file names without extension),

film roll in front of it.

designs.

Right. My Fuji has manual focus capability, but I don't have enough fingers, or intelligence, to get it to work.

It also has a clever autofocus algorithm that focusses perfectly, right until a few milliseconds before you take a picture.

The most annoying thing I've found on almost all cameras: how do you turn the damned flash off, and keep it off?

John

remote

cut file names without extension),

film roll in front of it.

designs.

It has? I had one but it returned from warranty repair as an A480. Not used it much as I have an A580 to wear out first. A590 died after ~140k shots with CHDK firmware.

You mean CHDK, or the Canon firmware?

After all, it's the picture, not the technology.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

remote

cut file names without extension),

film roll in front of it.

designs.

You have a hard time with alarm clocks, and VCRs (back then) and electronic watches too.

Bwuahahahahahahaha! How the f*ck did you ever get anywhere in the electronics industry?

Oh... that's right, you were likely positioned and retained by an equally dumb ditz.

You're a wuss. I can buy a $300 14 Megapixel camera and shoot circles around you and ANY shot you make with that triple overpriced POS. Especially with you controlling the shutter release.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Buy a camera that is worth owning. There are plenty that have a hidden flash unit that has to be released to operate. Close it, and every shot is forced non-flash.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

My Lumix ZS7 has a dedicated (in photo taking mode) button that cycles between auto, forced on, forced off. No manual focus, but (unlike other P&S cameras) does have a true iris rather than a neutral density filter. It's about perfect (Leica 12x zoom lens, 720p video), except for two things- it's like me in a strange city- it keeps waking up and wondering where the h*** it is (turning on its GPS and looking for satellites) and that drains the batteries when it's not being used, and secondly they didn't bother to add the capability of charging through the USB cord, which means another $#$# charger to misplace or forget to bring).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The Olympus SP-800UZ 14Mpixels, 30X optical zoom, superb macro capacity, F2.8-F5.6, 28-840mm equivalent zoom lens. Excellent photo composition software. Fires 720p video into memory or out of the mini-HDMI jack. It DOES charge via the USB cable.

Absolute user control or great automatic modes.

The best zoom/macro camera you can get for the money.

My 500UZ is also a great macro/zoom camera, but it only had a 10x optical zoom, and is only 6Megapixels. It even has a 3:2 pull down mode. Damn fine camera, but this one is 3 years newer and the thing cannot take a bad picture.

I thought I wanted to sell the 500UZ but I keep thinking that I can make it my camera for taking along on hikes and stuff.

The new one is for macros shots and studio stuff, so I won't be taking it on hikes, unless I buy a second one, which I might.

You cannot find a better 14 Mp camera for less than $300.

Hell, I might even buy them as security cameras, and one as a video camera. Did I say it has HD video out?

TheGlimmerMan