Question about capacitor usage

I ordered what turned out to be poor quality capacitors from...Amazon.

6 of the 12 failed. The failure was increased dissipation and reduced capacitance. These are 20kV capacitors failing at about 4kV. If I had read the reviews I would have saw they fail at low voltages. I used the caps in a tripler, the caps that failed were the caps that passed all the current flow, not the filter caps on the output. I have returned the first 12. I had order a second batch when I only had one defective capacitor, now I'm wondering If using them as filter capacitors on the output is less hard on them, i.e. will the have a longer life as a filter, then when passing all the current. Mikek
Reply to
Lamont Cranston

Real 12kV caps should be able to pass testing at well above that. You bought junk suitable for about 2kV. Current is not likely to be the issue.

Reply to
Tabby