Ignorant LED questions (low power LED usage)

So, I completed putting LEDs on my trailer. (LEDs are used to indicate power and braking status) They are current limited by simple

500 ohm resistors, to approximately 25 mA. No big deal.

That made me think: most of the power to LEDs is wasted worthlessly in those resistors. Only a small fraction of it is used to make light. (my guess is about 85% of power is wasted)

Are there any LED driver kinds of chips that allow LEDs to be used in a low power usage kind of situation (as opposed to running from a truck alternator). That replace those resistors with something smarter.

The reason for my question is that I have a mailbox that used to be often hit by vehicles. I have changed it to a higher visibility, swingaway mailbox:

but I would like to also add solar powered LEDs to it based on a WHY NOT principle. (why not do it)

For this thing to work properly, it has to use as little power as possible, so, I would like to know how LEDs are used in low power situations.

Ignoramus21592

Igor, juvenile hoodlums will thank you. Leaning out of a car window clutching a baseball bat while going fast in the dark makes it very hard to see mailboxes. Having one lit up by LEDs would be a blessing.

So much for bad humor:

A switching power supply would be the way to go. I doubt that any are made specifically for LED supplies, and finding one that'll be efficient at the low power levels you're looking at will be a challenge. So you have your work cut out for you -- but you're known to be energetic.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:02:25 -0600) it happened Ignoramus21592 wrote in :

Well, you could have put some LEDs in series on that 12V, and create a constant current source with some FET or transistor. This is the classic low component count LED constant current source:

k a k a k a k a ------ LED1--LED2--LED3..... LEDn--------- PLUS 12 V | |--- ---->| JFET | |--- | | select | [ ] R for 25 mA | | ---------------------------------------------------- MINUS

See above. More efficient even is a switchmode current regulator ....

Well light at night, sun during the day, you need at least a battery of sorts.

Long story, many solutions, late at night, whatdoyouknow. Over to somebody else.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There are some chips made for the purpose but they tend to be hard to find, costly, and are primarily for high power leds.

Easiest way to save some power is to just pulse the LED with a much higher current for a much shorter duty cycle - or use one of the flashing LEDs or get a hold of a LM3904 and use that to flash your leds.

Solar powered - you'd want it to shut off while light outside.

Newsgroups
default

Could one say that impedance matching is required?

Match load and supply or use something acting like an imaginary DC to DC transformer (ex. smps). D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

LED's are efficiently driven by switchmode current supplies. There are now dozens of different chips available from just about every major player.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Readily available from a dozen manufacturers.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

So there are. A quick web search got me many relevant hits.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I know what you mean, but so far, all my mailbox accidents were NOT due to juvenile hoodlums. They were due to people not knowing how to drive. Once it was a snow plow, and another time it was some odiot who left his or her car mirror lying next to the mailbox.

Thanks Tim... I am still hoping that this is a standard problem...

Ignoramus21592

That's a great idea, very simple and elegant. Thanks.

Definitely, yes. Battery plus solar charger.

Ignoramus21592

Also very wrong. The efficiency would be negligible.

The trick is to provide JUST ENOUGH VOLTAGE to allow a desired current to flow through both the LEDs and their (hopefully very small) current sensing resistor.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:35:12 -0700) it happened Don Lancaster wrote in :

Not really, a few volts drop with 12V and a few more when battery goes way up say to 14 V or more, will protect the LEDs, keep teh current constant very well. It is more constant and more efficient then each LED a resistor. It is not as efficient as _most_ switchmodes. And it is not wrong. The only thing that is wrong is that your prediction I would have LED lights in my house by now never happened. :-) And will not happen in the coming years. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Greetings Don! Perhaps you missed that there were many LEDs in series? Although not as good as a switcher, it would be many-fold better than a single LED resistored to 12v.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I've seen ordinary bicycle retroreflectors on mailboxes. They take zero power. :-)

However, if the vandal is driving with no lights, I guess it wouldn't help much. ;-)

(and if you put a solar panel on top of your mailbox, it would probably get stolen. =:-O )

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I don't know where you live, but in snow country I've seen mailbox posts set back 4-6' from the shoulder, with the box on a cantilevered arm, like a fence gate. It stays in place by ordinary friction, or maybe there's a piece of breakaway wire. This does two things - the snowplows don't plow the post down, and if the box gets hit, it just swings out of the way.

Hmm - this suggests an additional scenario: the box bounces off the front of their car, swings around, and breaks their back window. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

it could be, in fact, much closer to 100% than to 0%. Depending on voltage drop per diode.

Ignoramus26157

That's exactly what I did.

Ignoramus26157

Cat# SPL05 is a solar powered, 3 LED lite - charges in daylight, turns on automatically at night. $4.50

I don't think you can beat that. Even if it is less power efficient than some pulser or switcher design, it's a cheap "done deal" that seems to fit your needs. Besides it provides the solar cell you'll need if you build one.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ed, looks very interesting (the number is actually SPL-05). Thanks.

Ignoramus21592

some sort of "switcher" eg "joule thief" (google)

those cheap solar led lights often use a similar approach too.

--

Bye.
   Jasen