Decibels usage?

Based on one tenth of the Bel named in memory of Alexander Graham of telephone fame. Have always understood that Decibels are the logarithmic ratio (base 10) of 'two' or more, power levels.

So am familar that doubling (or halving) a power ratio is approx +3 (minus 3) decibels. etc.

But in day to day parlance one sees (and often hears) that something is loud, at say 90 dBs, very loud at say 105 dBs. or liable to damage ones hearing at say 125 dBs.

Or that 'normal office noise is 76 dBs or something.

But in relation to what?

On other hand have seen auto magazine articles reviewing vehicles that, very carefully, will say, for example, "Interior noise at 'x' mph. is so many dBA".

What is that 'A' ? Ambient or something?????

Also recall doing 'Noise measurements' on communication circuits using dBa (small 'a'). Meaning IIRC 'adjusted'? Those were using a 'Typical weighted circuit response' with zero dBa appearing to be somewhere around minus 90 dBm?

Various 'trades' also seem use dBm, i.e relative to dB Zero being being one milliwatt; dBw, i.e. relative to one watt and others.

And then there are loud speaker measurements; something to do with Sound Pressure Levels at a certain distance from the speaker?

But is there any one single power level or standard that is generally accepted as being a 'Normal' reference. Hence people tending to drop the reference in everyday usage?

Reply to
terryS

There is a power point presentation here;

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

You stopped reading too soon.

*-ohm-*+dBm+gnu+dBu

Reply to
JeffM

In relation to the threshold of hearing.

Also they are sound PRESSURE levels - not Power.

A weighting. The LF and HF is filtered.

I'm sure Wikipedia explains it very well.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks guys. TerryS

Reply to
terryS

The other guys have given some good info and links, but I thought I'd just also give my short summary...

As you said Terry, decibels always relate to ratios of power levels. Power is measured in Watts.

dB = 10log(P1 / P2).

When we are talking about "How many Decibels" we always need to know what the "reference power" is first. This is the number P2, in the equation above.

For sound, the proper notation to use is "dB (SPL)" or "dBSPL". People often leave off the "SPL" part of the notation.

The equation is:

dB (SPL) = 20log(SPL1 / SPL2)

Note that it is 20log, instead of 10log because SPL1 and SPL2 are measured in micropascals instead of Watts.

For sound, it was decided that the reference SPL2 is 20 micropascals. 20 micropascals is a very quiet sound. A 20 micropascal sound is 0dB (SPL).

So if we have a sound meter that measures SPL1 in micropascals, the meter gives us the reading dBsound = 20log(SPL1 / 20 micropascals)

Also, here's a Wikipedia reference

Anthony Burch

Tony Burch