Dot allowed as characters allowed in netlist?

Sorry for the occasional non-political post ...

In the past I have seen special character issues with netlists across foreign country boundaries. For example, in some countries they use a comma as the decimal "point" and NXP also has those dreaded "...,215" in some part numbers. That can blow a netlist out of the water.

How about a real decimal point (a dot) inside a footprint?

Main reason I ask is for mounting hole designators. A client wants all this in metric dimensions and that will require fractions of a millimeter. For clarity I'd like to list that as "4.5MM_DRILL" footprint or similar. If dots are not allowed I could only use 4500UM_DRILL" or such and that's less understandable.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We delete extra characters in our parts database. TO247, not TO-247. But decimal points are necesssary. We haven't seen any problems with that, but we rarely send BOMs outside the company.

You could adapt the dreaded 4K7 convention: 4MM5drill.

lunatic fringe electronics

It helps to allow lower case, 4mm5

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You should elaborate... the netlist to which you refer is a PCB netlist, NOT a simulation netlist.

However, in simulation netlists one should avoid non-alphanumeric characters, except that "underscore" is usually allowed. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
[snip]

Above is for model names. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Its not dreaded. It's a great way to notate numbers.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

The original justification was that decimal points were somehow fragile and got lost on drawings, so the wrong parts values got installed. It was nonsense of course.

I just frosted a Guinness Cake, which involved using 1cup25 of powdered sugar.

lunatic fringe electronics

How about 4m5_Drill or perhaps 4mm5_Drill?

Reply to
krw

Oh, that would be a 4m5 drill. A 4M5 drill would be something to behold!

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

in

nt

m is the SI unit for meter soo,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Since we have SI units, and accepted scientific notation, why do some people use the insane and ambiguous 6v8 style? That seems to be mostly amateurs and audio people.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den mandag den 12. marts 2018 kl. 00.24.44 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

man:

ss

5" in

all

print

or

.jpg

how is 6V8 ambiguous ?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

So I guess 4K7 is out, too.

Reply to
krw

Some people use underscore instead of spaces:

New_Text_Document__.txt

The problem with descriptive filenames is you can never be certain if there is a different file somewhere with the same name. The problem occurs when you try to copy to file to another folder that contains a file with the same name.

My solution to the problem is to rename the file to the hex date and time the file was created. This gives an 8-digit filename that can never be duplicated anywhere on the disk since "now" only happens once.

So what happens to the description?

I generate an index for every file in the folder. It contains the hex filename, the date it was last modified, the size, several indicators such as the most recently viewed, and the description.

When I need to copy the file somewhere, I wrote a file management software that copies the file and the index entry to the new folder, so the file and its index remain tied together.

There are many advantages to this system. I can create a global list of every file on my hard disk, and search it with a modified Boyer-Moore scan to find a desired file. It's pretty fast.

For example, here are the results for a search for "Larkin":

Searched 523,940 files in 5,861 directories

Found 125 hits in 539.000 ms

A search for "Hobbs" gives

Searched 523,940 files in 5,861 directories

Found 74 hits in 68.217 ms

Note the second search is almost ten times faster. This is because the global index is already in Window's cache so it doesn't have to be read from the disk.

Statistically, the number of hits in the above searches doesn't mean much.

Many of the files are LTspice files that double the number of hits since they have an ASC and a PLT file with the same hex identifier.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

That's just ugly. But how would you do 6850 volts?

6v85K 6kv85 6k85v ?

Does r mean ohms, or decimal point?

0r5 could be next to a resistor, or an inductor.

How do you do frequency? 155Hz52 ?

SI format clearly distinguishes between exponents and dimensional units. The 4k7 thing is just ugly and sloppy.

Modern decimal points don't fall off drawings. Properly drawn decimal points never did.

Substituting r for . is dumbr

lunatic fringe electronics

Especially in equations.

lunatic fringe electronics

I have no problems with that. I use the nomenclature in schematics because schematic capture software is so incredibly backwards. All of it.

Reply to
krw

There is a readability problem with decimal values. For example, .47uF on a large drawing can be misinterpreted to mean 47uF.

One solution is to add a zero in front of the decimal so it reads 0.47uF

I know you already know that. Just mentioning it for others.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Some Zener diodes use the form 6V2 in their part numbers

Takes less space also.

As for 0.47uF, I always add the leading zero.

Also, on schematics, I have learned to not use 4-way tie points because of the sometimes ambiguity of the wire crossing or connecting whether or not the dot is huge and visible.

Reply to
boB

The best fix for that is to type 470 nF.

Yes. In engineering school, we were taught to always use a leading zero before a decimal point : 0.47 uF.

We were also taught to draw big, bold decimal points.

lunatic fringe electronics