Block graphics displayed wrongly as characters....

When I first started with the Raspberry Pi the output from the cgps -s command was displayed with block graphics:

but now I get character instead (e.g "q" instead of the horizontal lines, and "x" instead of the vertical lines etc.). I've obviously done /something/ which has upset the mapping of (I guess) higher-order ASCII characters, but I don't know exactly /what/ I've done.

How can I revert the SSH/PuTTY session to line graphics, and what might I then lose? I.e. what might have needed the extended ASCII characters?

--
Thanks,
David

Have you changed your LANG (or LC_ALL or ...) setting from something like en_ZZ.utf8 to just en_ZZ (for some suitable ZZ)?

That is one thing which can have that effect.

What does echo /$LANG/ /$LC_ALL/ output?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Diamond

what is cgps ?

try the command

reset

You lose nothing if putty is running in UTF-8 mode

--
For a good time: install ntp
Reply to

On 05/01/2014 17:42, Jim Diamond wrote: []

Jim,

I've made no changes in language settings, as far as I know, but I am using a kernel I compiled myself and thinking back, that /may/ have been when the problems started. The output shows:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ echo /$LANG/ /$LC_ALL/ /en_GB.UTF-8/ //

so it seems I have UTF8.

--
Cheers,
David

On 05/01/2014 18:22, Jasen Betts wrote: []

Jasen, the "cgps -s" displays incorrectly right from the start, immediately after logging in. I did try reset but it made no difference.

The other thing I notice is that ls displays are in different colours for different file types. I recall from the dim and distant past that this would be set by ANSI escape sequences. I'm not sure I always had colours displayed, though, so perhaps that's another clue. I'm relative new to Linux.

--
Cheers,
David

With thanks to Jasen and Jim, I have just discovered that setting the terminal in PuTTY to Window, Translation, Character set to ISO Latin-1 West Europe, seems to have done the trick. Why I needed to change it, though, I am no wiser.

--
Cheers,
David

You shouldn't need to do that. Rather than changing the character set, look under the "Remote character set" drop-down and find the area labeled "Adjust how PuTTY handles line drawing characters". Select "Use Unicode line drawing code points".

Also, under "Colours", turn off 256-color mode.

--
Blah blah bleh...
GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

Thanks, Salvatore. I made the changes in PuTTY which I understood you suggested:

- Windows, Translation, Line drawing: Use Unicode line-drawing points (was already checked)

- Windows, Translation, Remote character set: UTF-8

- Windows, Colours, 256-colour mode, unchecked

But that has resulted in characters, rather than line drawing, being displayed.

--
Cheers,
David