Password Characters Allowed

I realize that this group's topic is repair, but I am not sure where my question might get answered. Since the members here are knowledgeable about many things, I thought this might be a good place.

In creating passwords, has anyone used Extended ASCII characters in doing so? Are these universally accepted or does it depend upon the site? I thought using them might be a good way of foiling someone trying to enter an account. Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Strong password recommendations are to use:

  1. the maximum number of characters allowed,
  2. not to use any words, names, dates, etc.(a random combination - gibberish)
  3. Make sure to use capital and small letters, and mix in some numbers too
  4. also make sure to use one or more non-standard characters, such as "@", "?", "!", "%" etc.

There are probably other recommendations, but these are what come to mind. The answer to your question is that most systems will accept these characters, but will not accept "unprinatables" like the escape, delete, insert, Control key sequence characters, etc.

Many people I know will substitute @ for "a", 1 for "l", 0 for "o", 3 for "e" etc. in their passwords.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman