DC/DC converter - 8KW

Hi.

I need some simple low cost schematics how to make 8KW converter that can convert from 72 to 460V . The basic idea is to wind some strong transformer and to rise the frequency to 200 - 300 HZ + IGBT. There is no need for riple and stable voltage or for PWM control because the inverter is connected to DC link of micromaster and mm is connected to AC 8kw motor. The motor should not pull more then 6kw but i didnt test this...

Ideas, schematics ?

John

Reply to
test

May as well ask for a simple, low cost schematic to make a supersonic fighter jet.

Some things just aren't simple and low cost.

John

Nah, you can get a brand new one for $18.95:

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

:-) What do you think, how would you solve this ? I think that my approach is OK but i need some "confirmation" before i start the project.

Reply to
test

Not being a big-iron power supply guy, I wouldn't make any design recommendations except to say that doing something that size is no joke, and not a job for an amateur.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The Right Stuff! Are batteries included?

John

That would be a monstrous and ugly buzzing transformer.

For this type of power/voltage, I would use MOSFETs and run at the frequency of 30kHz or so. The schematics would be an MCU controlled push-pull. Pay special attention to overvoltage/overcurrent protection, soft startup and shutdown, and stray inductances.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

It just struck me that this is a leftist weenie design (every which way but the right way ;-)

Is the end load _really_ an AC 8kW motor?

Why not directly make a DC motor (EC) on the 72V? ...Jim Thompson

Why not. I designed the contol part for that:

It is interesting to work with 800A of current. You can feel the straignt wires attracting or pushing away from each other like magnets.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Hi Vladimir and thank you for your reply. I have some basic schematics so if you have some time i can send it to you. I can lower the frequency to 100hz or use 5-10Khz or 30Khz solution but if you dont mind i would like to talk this per email.

Can you share some mail address ?

Reply to
test

Vladimir Vassilevsky

What, like this one?

Bitrex

HI Jim. Why do you think that Vladimir has "the weenie design " :-) btw. i dont want to use DC motor because all my other control electronic is for AC motor. And yes, the motor is 8kw but the load will be in range between 3 - 5 KW.

Vladimir I have send you mail with photo.

Reply to
test

since he mentions a Siemens micromaster variable frequency drive and an ac motor what else could it be?

for industrial stuff ac motors and VFD are more standard and he wouldn't need to change the mechanics

but looking at a place like this:

it does look like you could get a 72V motor and controller in that power range for not too crazy prices

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Product discontinued. Pity.

Still, it didn't look cheap or simple.

John

I wasn't referring to Vladimir, I was referring to you ;-)

And if you can't control the speed of an EC motor, you need to go back to school ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Why did they discontinue it?

At >20kA you can see really thick braided wires move when pulsed :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yes. I designed and tested several 500hp inverters (old McMurray-Bedford configuration). When a fault occurred (about 2000 amps), the 4-0 welding cables connected to the 3ph, 480V source would jump a foot apart or so. If you're standing near to them and got touched by them, you would almost need fresh underwear.

Reply to
John S

Well, first, to get 8 KW at 72 V, you need a current of 111 Amps. IGBTs are not a good choice until voltages get up above 200 V. So, some paralleled big MOSFETs like IFR260 or something might be the best. If you don't need DC isolation, for get the transformer, just use a big inductor and the classic boost regulator topology. Just 4 major components. A series inductor, a power transistor to ground, a series diode and a filter cap.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Oh, CRAP! I was focusing on the 72 V, not the 460. Yes, you may want to use IGBTs, but higher voltage rated MOSFETs could also work. MOSFETs are generally faster than IGBTs, so higher switching frequencies can be used, making the inductor smaller. That inductor (or transformer, if you do need isolation for some reason) is going to be a major thing to develop, so making it smaller may be desirable.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson