Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: - autism spectrum disorders look like accumulations of genetic defects?
Another paper from PNAS. It's thoroughly off-topic, but calling people autistic is a fairly popular mode of abuse here, if more with the ill-informed. In this case the full text is available. Jurb...
8
8

OT: but frequently seen here - A PNAS paper on why conservatives devalue climate change and what can be done to cure them.
The PNAS is is the Proceedings of the - US - National Academy of Sciences, and it is a fairly high-prestige place to publish You'll probably have to pay for the full paper. I'll try to get hold of a...
51
51

PLC classes in Northern California?
Hello, Does anybody have any experience with SCADA/PLC classes in Northern California (Sacramento area in particular)? I'm looking for classes on Allen Bradley PLCs. I noticed Sacramento City College...
5
5

good book, slightly on-topic
One Child, by Mei Fong. This is about the history and consequences of the insane Chinese one-child policy. It's in the first person; the author spends time with real victims of the program. Two things...
36
36

I2C switch/multiplex
I've got a task of cramming in a GPS receiver with I2C interface to an existing small board. The receiver is rather power hungry (50uA) even in sleep mode compared to the target of 3uA at 2.8V. I was...
2
2

Low-voltage AC-powered oscillator
If the power supply voltage is high, say >=3V, it is pretty simple to design an oscillator (of unimportant output frequency and shape), which can be powered from an AC power source: just add a diode...
22
22

Ultra high frequency oscillators
Could some electronics guru please shed some light on this ? How is the carrier wave for high frequency wireless communication transmitters generated ? Specifically, any oscillator would need negative...
21
21

sunny, warming California
It's officially -2F here. My RTD under the stairs says +4.9. Last night, the official temp hit -5, which is a new record for this date. And I need to go to Safeway.
39
39

RF power amplifier for Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance (NQR) spectrometer
Hello, I'm building Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance (NQR)to test for 14N. using the SpinCore Radio processor USB board. Here is the manual of the board. I could not find low-cost 50/100/200 Watts RF...
13
13

PowerSpec Ultra 3D Printer
Is there a newsgroup for the PowerSpec Ultra 3D Printer ? If so please give name or link or...
1
1

OT: Christmas Card Surprise
OT: Christmas Card Surprise... Photo Christmas Card from oldest granddaughter and her family, labeled, "Merry Christmas from Caitlin, Chris, Olivia, Camden and BABY #3" !!!! Looks like we have our...
6
6

An old military doppler radar unit
A little diversion for the festive season for anyone interested in old military electronics. Earlier this year I visited the Newark Air Museum just outside Newark-on-Trent in the UK. It has an...
22
22

Motorola sc421636p datasheet
I was tearing apart gizmos in my junk pile. One of them was an old radio th ing to get into the parking garage at an apartment I used to live in. It ha s one chip. A Motorola SC421636P in a 16pin dip...
1
1

OT: UN Vote
"... the Obama administration has banded with such exemplars of democracy as Egypt and denounced Israel building settlements on its own territory. It was a decision that was not in the best interests...
2
2

new (to me) 90 degree all-pass
I invented this! Well, after maybe 15,000 other people invented it first. If I use the AD835 multiplier in my IQ modulator, with differential inputs, the E1 thing is free.
30
30