sunny, warming California

It's officially -2F here. My RTD under the stairs says +4.9.

Last night, the official temp hit -5, which is a new record for this date.

And I need to go to Safeway.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John S

That's OK. Enough better people do.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Someday I hope to make a pilgrimage to see all the vintage horseless carriages still plying the roads of The Island that Rust Forgot: Alameda, CA.

Reply to
bitrex

Then you don't need to solicit more, right?

Reply to
John S

What's a 'Safeway' ? Some LTSpice directive?

Martin Riddle

Here, 60 degrees North, it was +7 C (45 F) today.

--

-TV
Reply to

You seem awfully crabby today.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Safeway is a grocery chain. ...Jim Thompson

Over here, the sensor in my front yard - calibrated to +/-0.3 deg C - read 21 C (~70 F) this afternoon and right now (3 am) it says

15.5 C (~60 F). Somewhat warmer than usual for this time of year. It did rise above 30 C (86 F) for a few days in June.
Reply to
Pimpom

I know that ;) And it proably carries that Shasta soda too.

Martin Riddle

I saw a gal in a T-shirt on Catalina Island saying, "I got pregnant at Ralph's because I didn't know there was a Safeway" ;-)

Ralph's is a Californica grocery chain.

Some of Shasta soda flavors are pretty good... like the Cream Soda. ...Jim Thompson

It's been in the '60s all week (high 50s today). We had the house open all day Christmas Eve and Christmas (hit 70F - downright warm on the deck doing the prime rib in the Green egg). Global warming is

*nice*.

Today?

Reply to
krw

I used to work in Alameda, for a small marine automation company. We rented 30,000 square feet of old warf building (right on The Moat) for $400 a month. We had so much room that we sub-let some to a guy who made sails. I almost took out an Exxon tanker when I accidentally shorted a bus-bar in the engine room control console.

Alameda is nice, still a bit small-towney.

Just down the road was Mike Quinn, an amzing quonset hut stacked to dangerous heights with surplus electronics. There were lots of surplus places in the 1980s, up until the real estate got too expensive for surplus stores or sail lofts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's a giant food store. I needed bananas for the pancakes.

It was 4 degrees F in the Safeway parking lot. And they had mountains of fresh bananas, blueberries, lettuce. This is not far from where the Donner Party wintered and died. They likely traveled through the parking lot.

Civilization is amazing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Crabby?

Reply to
John S

I have a 1K platinum RTD under the stairway, outside on the north side of the house. It's measured ratiometrically against a thinfilm resistor, and calibrated at ice point.

I potted it with epoxy inside a bit of soda straw.

The official Truckee temperature is measured at the airport, which is out in the open, no trees or anything, so gets a lot of radiation cooling at night. We're often the lowest temperature in the USA, at night in the summer.

Look at the variations here:

The "official" -2F at the airport is way below all the other temps.

You can see similar radical temp sensor variations most everywhere.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I prefer it to Coke. Coke is too corn-syrup sticky and has too much cinnamon flavor. That wrecks the taste of good rum.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den tirsdag den 27. december 2016 kl. 03.04.44 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

why put coke in good rum?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I like it. I wouldn't mix anything with great rum, like Ron Zacapa 23.

10Cane is good rum, for mixing and Bananas Foster and such. To save time setting fire to bananas, just dump a teaspoon of 10Cane on some good vanilla bean ice cream.

Havana Club (the genuine Cuban one) is pretty good rum. Up til recently, it was illegal to import it into the USA.