Subject Author Posted Replies

Old-timey design from not too long ago
The Yamaha TX81Z, circa 1986: Big transformer, linear regulators, two-sided board, bunch of DIPs. Looks like the power switch is on the left at the back, and they've routed some long piece of metal...
17
17

Elon Musk
Is an amazing guy. He went to Stanford for a Ph.D in physics but dropped out after two days to start Zip2 where he made his first millions. He then leveraged his economics degree to found X.com which...
6
6

OT: revisitng the social cost of CO2 emissions
From the latest Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It's a trifle comical. One of the more predictable costs of global warming is sea level rise. There's about 10 metres of sea level rise...

analog failures
My experience is that we find a lot of bugs and documentation problems with the digital parts of mixed-signal chips. Devices Threatened By Analog Content? With few measurable methods to assess analog...
88
88

Top Science Rule
1
1

Eudora Email Problems
I don't typically have any trouble with Eudora... it just works. But once in a while the handshake with the server will stop working. I end up having to contact my web hosting provider and we change...
6
6

gumdrop source
The web site is still a tad flakey. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
25
25

OT: Coming soon to America
heres what happens when you import a violent foreign culture into a peaceful native one...
11
11

How to increase the volume of a metronome?
Greetings, Comments are sought on additional circuitry to increase the speaker volume of the circuit shown between the lines. Comments on circuit simplifications are also sought. (Maybe a 555 with a...
30
30

Long term stability of matched resistors?
If I select metal foil resistors with 1% tolerance so that they match to 0.1% can I expect that the matching keeps stable for a longer time or will the values drift sooner or later to their 1%...
33
33

Driving Helmholtz Coils - Best Practice
The following questions are with regard to driving two coils arranged in a Helmholtz configuration. By convention, is a bipolar or unipolar signal applied? It would appear the former would have the...
4
4

The "Experts" are up to their old tricks again
Lying assholes.
5
5

OT: Beer, as it was in the old days ...
In the really *old* days.
17
17

OT: Winter Volts
Sometimes it's set up just right:
5
5

Window Heater
I sit directly under a window much of the time (don't suggest I move, there just isn't another practical option). When it is cold the window has a draft that is downright brutal. I plugged the window...
89
89